Notice of Non-Discrimination
Northwestern Michigan College is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, height, weight, marital status, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities and admissions. In addition, although not mandated by law, it is the policy of Northwestern Michigan College to prohibit discrimination in employment, educational programs and activities and admissions on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression.
This Policy of Non-Discrimination is designed to express the college's intent and commitment to comply with the requirements of state and federal non-discrimination laws, which may include:
- Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972
- Age Discrimination Act of 1975
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
- Equal Pay Act of 1963
- Title VIII of the Public Health Service Act
- Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- Section 402 of the Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Act of 1974
- Retirement Equity Act of 1984
- Michigan Elliot-Larsen Civil Rights Act
- Michigan Person with Disabilities Civil Rights Act
- Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990
- Title II of the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008
This policy and all other policies and procedures of Northwestern Michigan College shall be interpreted and applied co-extensively with such laws. This policy shall not be interpreted as creating any legally enforceable rights, contractual or otherwise, that are greater than those existing under applicable non-discrimination laws. Nothing contained in this policy shall be construed as prohibiting the college from applying bona fide occupational qualifications.
Complaints or inquiries related to this policy shall be directed to Vice President of Finance and Administration, 1701 East Front Street, Traverse City, Michigan (231) 995-1045; Director of Human Resources, 1701 East Front Street, Traverse City, Michigan (231) 995-1026; and the Disability Support Services Specialist, 1701 East Front Street, Traverse City, Michigan (231) 995-1929.