Instructions for using the NMC SSLVPN
- The NMC SSLVPN works with Microsoft Windows 7 and earlier or Apple OS X 10.8 and earlier. It does not work with Microsoft Windows 8 (or later) or Apple OS X 10.9 (or later).
- The NMC SSLVPN requires Java (www.java.com).
- As of Java 7 update 51 and later, you will need to follow these instructions (one time for each computer):
- Go to Control Panel then open the Java applet and go to the Java Tab and click 'View'. This will provide you with information on the version of Java you are currently running.
- If you are on Java Version 51 or later, go to the Security Tab in the Java applet.
- Click the 'edit site list' button and then click the 'add' button.
- In the 'location' area, enter "https://sslvpn.nmc.edu" (without the quotes)
- Click 'OK' to dismiss the 'site list' window.
- Click 'OK' to dismiss the java control panel window.
- If using Internet Explorer, when launching SSLVPN you will be presented with a gray Java prompt informing you that the application has an expired certificate. Select the check box. Also select the optional checkbox to always run for this site. Then select Run.
Login and Disconnection
- Using Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, or Microsoft Internet Explorer go to this address: nmc.edu/vpn
- Log in with your NMCID and Password. You will be asked a series of questions about downloading and running processes. Answer yes to all questions.
- Once you have established a connection, you must keep your web browser open. If you close it, the connection is broken and you will need to log in again. Please Note: You will have to go through this routine each time you want to establish a secure SSLVPN connection.
- Once you are done with the VPN session, please make sure you click "Disconnect" on the SSLVPN page and wait for it to disconnect.
- If you have any problems with the service, be sure to go to Java.com and update to the latest version of Java.
- Make sure to read the requirements section closely.
- You may also want to try switching to a different internet browser to troubleshoot a problem. For example, if you are using Internet Explorer, switch to using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
- As a last resort you can also try rebooting your computer and try to connect again.
- Any data (i.e. Banner Student Data) you download from NMC must be saved to your S: or Q: drive using Netstorage.
- Please contact the NMC Technology Help Desk at (231) 995-3020 for further assistance.