NMC Employee Wellness Monthly Mini Challenge
Wellness Works! - National Pet Month
National Pet Month is a celebration of the benefits pets bring to the lives of their owners. It started over twenty years ago in England and has five specific goals:
1. Promote the benefits of pet ownership: Pets reduce stress by providing unconditional love and companionship. To learn more about how pets can enhance your life, visit this site: How Owning a Cat or Dog Can Reduce Stress
2. Support pet adoption: Pets are not possessions, they are family members. If you are interested in expanding your family go to the link to see which pet is a perfect match for you: Online Pet Adoption Guide
3. Promote responsible pet ownership: The health of your pet is critical to their happiness. Are they eating right and getting enough exercise? Are there shots up to date? Do you know how to handle a pet emergency? Who will care for your pet when you are out of town? Visit the sites below for more information on these topics:
First Aid Tips for Pet Owners
Pet Care Checklist
4. Increase public awareness of services available from professionals who work with animals: Veterinarians perform a valuable service – keeping your pet healthy. Give them the recognition they deserve. But don’t forget the groomers, trainers and dog walkers. The old saying rings true -it takes a village to raise a pet. For an informative session about Veterinary Medicine, go to: Veterinary Questions and Answers
5. Raise awareness of the role, value and contribution to society of service animals: Service animals are trained to provide assistance to individuals with disabilities. Although all types of animals can help humans; dogs, miniature horses and birds are the most common. Read the article for inspiring stories about service animals: Creature Comforts
May Challenge: walk your dogs
Your challenge for May is to get outside and walk, with or without a fury friend. Track the number of days you walked 30 minutes or more in May and send your monthly total to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 5th. The person with the greatest number of days will win a local merchant gift card. All others will be entered in a random drawing. Got sneakers? – Get movin!
Wellness-May desk stretches
We all have everyday aches and pains caused by sitting and/or typing for long periods of time but we can find relief. Take a few minutes out of your day to try out the stretches below which can be done at your desk.
Desk Stretches for your torso and exercises for the legs
- Breathe deeply and as you exhale turn your torso to the right and grab the back of your chair with your right hand and the arm rest with your left hand.
- Use your grasp on the chair to rotate deeper in the stretch but never go to the point of pain.
- As you twist turn your head to look over your shoulder at the wall behind you.
- Slowly release from the stretch and repeat on the other side.
LEG EXTENSIONS (Quadriceps)
- Sit tall in your chair with your feet on the ground. Grasp the sides of the chair firmly with each hand.
- Extend one leg straight out in front of you so it is parallel to the floor.
- Flex and point your foot five times.
- Lower the leg and repeat on the other side.