BBQ Events and Menu
The NMC Barbecue's "picnic under the pines" is one of northern Michigan's most popular and enduring traditionsand includes events, activities anddisplays for family members of all ages.
Here is a partial list of the events and items held during the 2013 NMC Barbecue, which took place Sunday, May 19, between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.:
- Picnic Lunch
- Menu: Buffalo burger or hot dog, beans, potato salad, coleslaw, relishes, ice cream, & beverages – all generously donated by Oleson’s Food Stores.
- Again this year: Compostable plates, cups and forks and composting of food waste. Volunteers will be on hand to help patrons properly dispose of used items. Help make the Barbecue a zero-waste event.
- Opening Ceremony, 11 a.m.
- Presentation of Colors; National Anthem; U.S. Coast Guard Flyover.
- Activities & Games
- Free Activities: Obstacle courses; climbing wall; Traverse City Fire Department antique fire engine rides; book reading; ride Chip and wave to friends via live webcam.
- Kid’s Games: Cake Walk, Hair Painting, Wheel of Fortune and more! Ticket purchase required.
- Baby Care Station
- Courtesy of Great Start Traverse Bay/Manistee.
- Dennos Museum Center
- Live Entertainment Stage
- Two stages with unique entertainment at each including: local high school bands; a cappella groups; Blake Elliot; Sour Mash; Billy Strings & Don Julin, and many more.
- Classroom and Program Displays
- See the day-of program for details.
- NMC Bookstore
- Selling NMC logo wear and gifts.
- Quilt Raffle & Tent
- Quilt on display: The Water Wheel Splash; raffle tickets available. Tickets: $2 each or three for $5, drawing at 4:30 p.m.*
- NMC Live Broadcast
- Del Corner Veterans’ Tent
- A special seating area for veterans and their families to mingle.
- Greenhouse Plant Sale
- NMC Student Pottery Sale
- Noon, Fine Arts Building.
Event is rain or shine!
* License no. R21388.
NO PETS, PLEASE.