NMC Osterlin Library welcomes NMC students, faculty and staff, along with members of the public. Our specific policies are below, but public patrons are welcome to use our library during all regular business hours.
Library computers are primarily for the use of NMC’s students who are using them to do coursework. Library patrons who are not affiliated with NMC may use public computers. However, librarians may refuse access to non-NMC users during times of high demand. They also reserve the right to ask non-NMC and recreational users to give up their computers for NMC students who need them for educational or curriculum-related activities.
All users must comply with Staff Policy D-506.06: Computer and Network Acceptable Use.
electronic resources »
Academic libraries' contracts with database providers restrict access to college students, faculty, and staff. However, anyone can access the databases from campus. All of our databases are listed on the A to Z Resources page. Links to free quality online information sources can be found on the NMC Osterlin Library Community Resources guide.
We house both federal and State of Michigan documents as part of government depository programs. These document are available for check out to the general public and the NMC community.
To borrow books from other Michigan libraries, search MeLCat and click "Get this for me!" Select Northwestern Michigan College from a drop-down menu and enter your name and library card number. If you do not have a library card, or do not know the number, contact the library at (231) 995-1060.
- This service is free of charge to all library users.
- The average arrival time is 5-6 days.
- Notification by the email address or phone number on file.
- If MeLCat does not have the book you are looking for, submit a request here. Community patrons pay $3.00 plus any charges assessed by the lending library.
NMC students, faculty, staff, and area residents are eligible for library cards. To obtain a library card, bring one form of identification (driver’s license, student ID card, or current NMC student schedule) to the library service desk.
The loan period for most books and government documents is three weeks. The loan period for magazines and journals is one week. Loans may be renewed once if there are no other patrons waiting for the items. NMC faculty and staff may check out materials for an entire semester.
Overdue Books And Fines
Fines are applied for overdue or lost items, and fines may also be levied for damaged books. Faculty members are exempt from fines.
- Overdue: $1 per book after an overdue notice has been sent.
- Lost: Published price plus $10 if in print; $25 minimum if out of print.
Privacy Of Library Records
The Osterlin Library staff adheres to the following obligations regarding access to library records:
- The American Library Association's statement regarding the Confidentiality of Library Records,
- The American Library Association's statement regarding the Confidentiality of Personally Identifiable Information About Library Users, and
- The Michigan Library Privacy Act (PDF).
In all cases, a library record may only be provided to the person identified in that record.