Interlibrary Loan FAQ
To borrow books or videos from other Michigan libraries, try searching MelCat first and select "Get this for me!" from the search results. Then select Northwestern Michigan College from the drop-down menu as the library card/account you want to use, type in your name, and enter your library card number. if you do not have a library card, or do not know the number, contact the Osterlin Library at (231) 995-1060.
- This service is free of charge to all library users.
- The average arrival time is 5-6 days.
- Notification is by the e-mail address or phone number on file.
If MelCat does not have the item you are looking for, please see the following instructions for interlibrary loans:
What do I need to get an Interlibrary Loan?
- If you are an NMC student, faculty or staff, your NMC ID with barcode acts as your library card.
A library card may be obtained with a current driver's license at the library service desk for area residents.
How fast and easy is an Interlibrary loan?
- The speed at which ILL request can be filled depends on the type of item requested
- Books usually take 4-10 days
- Articles can take 1-5 days, depending on the method of delivery
How do I order books and articles?
Use the Online ILL request form or request a form from the library service desk.
Does it cost anything to use ILL?
There is no cost to NMC students, faculty and staff for Interlibrary Loan services. Community members pay $3.00, plus any additional charges assessed by the lending library.
How will I be notified when my order comes in?
We will call you. If you include an e-mail address, we will also send you a message.
Where do I get my ordered items?
All items may be picked up at the Service Desk in the Osterlin Library. If it's a journal article, we can e-mail the article straight to your e-mail address.
Are there any restrictions?
Lending libraries determine conditions regarding the use of their material. Limitations such as "For use in Library only" or "Copying not Permitted" must be honored.