The library has historical coverage of the Traverse City Record-Eagle and many other local papers. Available titles are listed below. Click on the title to link to our catalog and view coverage dates. There are occasional small gaps in coverage, so researchers are encouraged to call ahead. Library staff will be happy to double-check coverage of a specific date and title for you.
For a searchable list of all Osterlin Library newspaper titles, use our Journal List »
Traverse city record-eagle
Including predecessors to Record-Eagle, the library holds v.1 1858 to date.
- Microfilm: Jan. 3, 1911 to one year ago (Missing 5/1/1915–12/31/1916 and 7/1/1971–7/31/1971)
- Print: Current year
- Full text access to Traverse City Record-Eagle online »
Contains most issues of the newspaper in the following date ranges: 1858 to 1977, 1988 & 1989 and 2009 to 2012.
- Indexes to Traverse City newspapers, 1858–1985 online »
- Antrim County Herald »
- Antrim County News »
- Bellaire Independent »
- Bellaire Record »
- Bellaire Spectator »
- Central Lake Torch (also The Torch) »
- Elk Rapids Progress »
- Ellsworth Tradesman »
- Mancelona Herald »
- Benzie Area Newspapers Archive »
A searchable archive containing newspapers from 1888-2012. Includes The Benzie Banner, Benzie Record Patriot, Benzonia Citizen, Frankfort Express, South Frankfort Alert, Elberta Alert, and The Frankfort Times.
- Benzie Banner »
- Benzie County Patriot »
Grand Traverse County
The genealogy collection formerly located at the Osterlin Library has moved to the Traverse Area District Library (TADL).
The Osterlin Library Reference staff are limited in the amount of reference assistance we can provide to genealogists.
The library holds the following records on microfilm, which may be of interest to genealogists:
- Immaculate Conception Church Records, Peshawbestown »
- U.S. Census Records - Antrim, Benzie, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska, Leelanau and parts of some other Michigan counties 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 on microfilm
- 1940 Census available online at 1940census.archives.gov »
REQUESTS FOR ARTICLES/OBITUARIES
Community members are welcome to visit the library and use our resources to access obituaries or other articles.
For those who are unable to visit the library, we may be able to send articles to you. There is a $3.00 charge for each item sent. To place a request, contact the library with the date and page number for each article. It may help to search the Traverse City Record Eagle index to find the date you’re looking for.