Trends in Occupational Studies Conference
- Oct. 16-17, 2014
Location: Grand Traverse Resort and Spa »
- Use Promo Code MOD1014
Outstanding Educator Award
The Outstanding Educator Award honors outstanding performance during the academic year preceding the annual Trends in Occupational Studies Conference. NOTE: Nominations for the 2014 Outstanding Educator Award are now closed.
(Last updated August 12, 2014)
Thursday, October 16
Dr. Rob Johnstone, Founder and President, National Center for Inquiry & Improvement
Making Sense of the Numbers – Using Data for Student Success
Dr. Johnstone brings his unique perspective with over 20 years of experience working in community colleges and prior as a strategic consultant to the work of creating and nurturing a culture of inquiry and action on campus to improve student outcomes. Colleges around the country have significantly evolved the availability of data on their campuses. What hasn’t always followed is a parallel evolution of actually using the data to create insight and eventually take action. Rob will explore the concept of how to evolve such a culture and far more importantly, explore real world data that illustrates the types of questions and data needed to engage in really moving the needle on student success.
Friday, October 17
Dr. Paul Hernandez, Director, The High School Turnaround Initiative
Empowering Disengaged Students – Lessons From the Street and Classroom
Dr. Hernandez is a nationally recognized leader in community outreach and college access and success. Through an interactive and dynamic presentation, he will share his personal story of being an ‘at-risk’ youth and how it influenced both his current work and past experience as a faculty member. Before earning his PhD, bachelor, and associate degrees, Hernandez was engulfed in gang culture and deep poverty, surviving on the streets of Los Angeles. He has learned ways to help young people travelling a path similar to his own, and through his inspirational message hopes to share his lessons and passion in the addressing challenges faced by at-risk youth in rural areas and large cities.
- Conference registration is now open:
- Exhibitor Information »
- Hotel Reservation Information:
- Hotel reservations can be made at the Grand Traverse Resort and Spa by calling (800) 968-7352 and mentioning the Trends Conference. If preferred, reservations may be made online using Promo Code MOD1014.
- Room Rates: Hotel rooms $149 plus 6% state tax and 5% tourism assessment; total cost $165.39. Tower rooms $179 plus 6% state tax and 5% tourism assessment; total cost $198.69. (The above rates do not include a $10.95 nightly resort fee.)
- Note: Two people per room for the above stated rates. Additional adults in a guest room will be charged $15 per person, per night.
- Registration includes Thursday breakfast, Thursday lunch, and Friday breakfast at the Grand Traverse Resort and Spa. We regret meals cannot be guaranteed for participants registering after September 26, 2014.
- It is recommended that room reservations be made by September 12, 2014. The Resort will release the block of rooms held for the Trends Conference after this date. You will not be guaranteed a room and/or the conference room rate after this date.
State of Michigan Workforce Development Agency
Michigan Community College Association (MCCA)
Michigan Occupational Deans Administrative Council (MODAC)
Northwestern Michigan College
Michigan Occupational Deans Administrative Council (MODAC) and The Workforce Development Agency / Community College Services
Use the links on the left to learn more about the Grand Traverse region, including dining and shopping options.