Northern Naturalist Certificate Requirements
Basic requirements to earn the certificate include:
- a minimum of 8 courses designated from the Naturalist category;
- a minimum of 65 classroom/field-trip hours;
- of the 65 required hours, at least 10 hours should involve field experience (classes that include field trips, hikes, etc.)
Select at least one course from each of the five general categories. In some cases, you may need to take more than one course or workshop to equal the total number of required hours.
- Environmental Studies (required) — 8 hours
- Water (shoreline or water ecology) — 10 hours
- Plants, wildflowers, trees — 8 hours
- Animals, birds, or bugs — 8 hours
- Geology — 8 hours
- Select at least 3 additional courses in any related area.
At the time of enrollment, related courses taken within the previous two years may be considered toward the certificate.
NOTE: To have a course count toward the certificate, you will need to attend ALL sessions for it to be considered “completed.”
For more information, please call (231) 995-1700.