Learn more about the IAF and the benefits of membership. More »
Help us celebrate our 20th anniversary with a series of special events.
Learn more about upcoming lectures and view past presentations. More »
Support the region’s first Academic WorldQuest competition for area high schools on Thursday, February 27 at Milliken Auditorium, starting at 2 p.m. Seven high schools are competing — TC West, TC Central, Elk Rapids, Interlochen Arts Academy, Elk Rapids, Forest Area, and Grand Traverse Academy. While there will only be one winning team at the end of the day, we congratulate all the schools on participating in this fun and educational event which will be held annually.
Marc Schollett, award-winning journalist and anchor of 7&4 News, will be the Master of Ceremonies for the competition. Spectators are welcome and admission is FREE. Just as with a sporting event, we hope to have people cheering on their school teams and taking part in the excitement of the day. We are also raising funds — and collecting airline miles — to help send the winning team to Washington, DC in April where they will compete against 40 other teams across the nation at Georgetown University!
Facts and Figures
- AWQ is a World Affairs Council of America program held annually.
- This will be the inaugural competition in Traverse City as part of the International Affairs Forum's 20th Anniversary Celebration.
- The quiz bowl-style competition tests the knowledge of teams on these issues:
- U.S. Energy Policy
- Global Economic Realignment
- Middle East
- Global Environmental Issues
- U.S. Education
- UN Millennium Goal #1 (Eradicate Extreme Poverty & Hunger)
- Global Health
- Current Events
- Teams from around the country participate in their local competition with the winner earning the opportunity to compete at the national championship at Georgetown University in Washington, DC.
- Teams compete in 10 rounds of 10 multiple choice questions with the teams "putting their heads together" to answer questions.
- Our local competition will feature teams from TC West, TC Central, Elk Rapids, Interlochen Arts Academy, Elk Rapids, Forest Area, and Grand Traverse Academy.
- We are very fortunate to have Marc Schollett, award-winning journalist and TV 7&4 anchor as our Master of Ceremonies for the competition.
- The International Affairs Forum is providing mentoring for teams to help prepare them for the competition on Feb. 27.
- AWQ presented by IAF will take place on February 27 from 2–6 p.m. at Milliken Auditorium.