NMC Transfer Guide - MACRAO

To: Central Michigan University - Main Campus

Program: Communication Disorders

To work as a speech-language pathologist or audiologist, you are required to fulfill the academic and clinical requirements for the Certificate of Clinical Competence of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). This certification requires completion of a master's degree. Your study of communication disorders at the undergraduate level must be carefully tailored to lead into study at the graduate level. Students will choose between a Doctor of Audiology or a Master's in Speech Pathology.

At CMU, the undergraduate and graduate level programs are designed to complement one another and to lead to ASHA certification.

ADMISSION INTO THE MASTER'S PROGRAM IS HIGHLY COMPETITIVE. Although you may complete a bachelor's program, this does not entitle you to be ASHA certified. Please consult with a CMU advisor as early in your academic career as possible. You may consider transferring to CMU after meeting MACRAO and additional graduation requirements. If you choose to complete the MACRAO agreement, request this stamp be placed on your transcripts from NMC's records office upon completion of your general education. See a counselor for details.

Transfer students must complete graduation competencies for CMU (Eng 111, 112; Com 111; Mth 111) at NMC or they will be required to complete these classes during their first or second semester at CMU.




ENG 111, 112

English Composition (3.0 required in English 111 or 112 if you plan on being a certified teacher)



Select 8 or more credits from at least two departments in Humanities »




Select 8 or more credits from the Science/Math Division from more than one department » (students might consider BIO 106 and MTH 131) 


Social Science


Select 8 credits from the Social Science Area from more than one department »




COM 111

Public Speaking


MTH 111

Intermediate Algebra


If you wish to have a degree from NMC please consult with a counselor to complete requirements.

Northwestern Michigan College does not assume final responsibility for the accuracy of information on this guide. The final responsibility for the successful transfer of classes suggested on this guide rests with you and the institution you plan to transfer to. It is strongly recommended that you visit the institution as early in your academic career (prior to transfer) as possible.

Updated: Summer 2018

Section Navigation Academic Programs
up arrowscroll bardown arrow