NMC Transfer Guide - MACRAO

To: Central Michigan University - Main Campus

Program: Music


  1. GPA - 2.5 recommended
  2. All courses must be passed with a "C" or better to be accepted at at CMU.
  3. Transfer students must complete graduation competencies for C.M.U. (Eng 111, 112; Com 111; Mth 111) at NMC or they will be required to complete these classes during their first or second semester at CMU.


Completion of Basic Requirement courses at NMC will fulfill the general requirements at CMU. Upon request at the Registrars office, the MACRAO Agreement will be stamped on your transcript.



ENG 111, 112

English Composition (for those wishing to be a certified teacher, a 3.0 is required for English 111 or 112)



See the Science/Math Division Requirements »

Social Science

Choose 8 or more Social Science credits from more than 1 department »


Choose 8 or more Humanities credits from more than 1 department »



MTH 111

Intermediate Algebra


MUS 101,102

Theory of Music


COM 111

Public Speaking


MUS 103, 104

Sight Singing & Ear Training


MUS 106, 107
MUS 206, 207

Class Piano



Music courses transfer as general credit and may need to be repeated at CMU. Specific music credit may be granted after your audition. Speak with an advisor at the Music department at CMU prior to choosing music courses from NMC or meet with CMU as early as possible in your academic career. Due to the nature of this program, you may consider transferring to CMU early. Completing the courses above and the MACRAO may not shorten your tenure at CMU.

If pursuing NMC's Associate's degree, 64 credits are required. Please contact a Counselor/Advisor for assistance with appropriate course selection.

Required for Music Education Majors Only:

EDU 101

Intro to Teaching - 3.0 required


NOTE: You should have at least 4 semester hours of applied study on your instrument (or voice) and 4 semester hours of a performing ensemble in order to be admitted as a Junior level music major.

Students are required to present evidence of at least 90 clock hours of experience working with children or youth prior to their admission to the Teacher Education Program. A minimum of 45 hours will be achieved in EDU 101 if you arrange your time with your instructor. This is a limited enrollment program, therefore, it is very competitive.

Northwestern Michigan College does not assume final responsibility for the accuracy of information on this guide. The final responsibility for the successful transfer of classes suggested on this guide rests with you and the institution you plan to transfer to. It is strongly recommended that you visit the institution as early in your academic career (prior to transfer) as possible.

Updated: Spring 2015

Section Navigation Academic Programs
up arrowscroll bardown arrow