NMC Transfer Guide - MACRAO

To: Central Michigan University - Main Campus

Program: Special Education endorsement - Secondary Emphasis

Special Education offers undergraduate majors in the Bachelors of Science in Education degree, Special Education emphasis. All students preparing to teach in Special Education must choose a major: Cognitive Impairment or Emotional Impairment. You must also choose Secondary or Elementary (for elementary emphasis, see appropriate transfer guide) emphasis. As a special Education teacher, you are permitted to teach special education, cognitive or emotional impairment, in grades K-12. Secondary emphasis enables you to teach grades 7-12.


  1. Minimum overall GPA of 2.7. All courses must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 to transfer to CMU. GPA does not guarantee admission into the program.
  2. Minimum of 45 semester credits. Students are encouraged to meet with a CMU advisor. More credits may be recommended.
  3. Transfer students must complete graduation competencies for CMU (Eng 111, 112; Com 111; Mth 111) at NMC or they will be required to complete these classes during their first or second semester at CMU.
  4. ENG 111, 112, and EDU 101 must be completed with a 3.0 or better.
  5. Completion of the SAT exam is required for admission. Please contact CMU for details.
  6. Due to the specific nature of this program, it is essential you contact as early as possible a CMU representative for important start dates and admission requirements.


Completion of Basic Requirement courses at NMC will satisfy the MACRAO Agreement and fulfill the general requirements at CMU.



ENG 111, 112

English Composition (3.0 in ENG 111 or 112)




Select 8 Group 1 Science/Math credits from more than one department with at least one lecture/lab »


Social Science


PLS 101

Intro to American Politics


PSY 101

Intro to Psychology


PSY 211

Developmental Psychology




Select 8 Group 1 Humanities credits from more than 1 department »


Major and additional requirements


EDU 101

Intro to Teaching (3.0 required)


COM 111

Public Speaking


MTH 111

Intermediate Algebra


  1. Consult the CMU catalog for a list of major/minors available for Special Education teachers.
  2. Visit with your NMC Advisor for assistance with selection of courses within your major/minor. These may also satisfy general education/MACRAO requirements.


Northwestern Michigan College does not assume final responsibility for the accuracy of information on this guide. The final responsibility for the successful transfer of classes suggested on this guide rests with you and the institution you plan to transfer to. It is strongly recommended that you visit the institution as early in your academic career (prior to transfer) as possible.

Updated: Fall 2018

Section Navigation Academic Programs
up arrowscroll bardown arrow