NMC Transfer Guide

To: Central Michigan University - University Center

Program: Secondary Education Certification - for those with a Bachelors degree

In an effort to assist college graduates interested in entering the teaching profession at the secondary level (grades 7 through 12) and to help school districts identify potential teacher candidates for existing teacher shortage areas, particularly in math and science, the College of Education at Central Michigan University (C.M.U.) offers an Alternate Route to Certification (ARC) program that provides graduate-level courses leading to certification in approximately 31 credit hours. Participants in this fast-track, cohort-based program may actually be prepared to enter the classroom after 21 hours of course work, followed by a 10 credit hour internship in a secondary classroom. At the completion of the Internship, students may be recommended for certification. Students also have the possibility of completing a Master of Arts degree by taking an additional 18 credit hours of specified graduate coursework.

During the first semester in the program students will take the Michigan Test of Teacher Certification. Two additional classes will be taught during this semester, one on-line, the other on-line and in class. The remaining classes will be taught at Central in a weekend format.


  1. A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited university or college
  2. Complete a major and minor (certain high need areas require a major only) in a teachable/certifiable field
  3. A 2.7 GPA from the bachelor's degree or in the last 45 hours of most recently completed course work
  4. Admission to Central Michigan University as a non-degree seeking graduate student
  5. Payment of an application fee of $150 (if accepted into the program, $50 of the fee may be applied to the first tuition bill)
  6. Satisfactory scores on the Michigan Basic Skills Test - Priority will be given to math and science majors/minors who are willing to complete their student teaching internship in a rural school.

For additional information, please contact: (989) 774-3309 or web: www.ehs.cmich.edu/css.

Teachable Major and Minors from C.M.U. (you may be required to take courses in your major and minor at Central if you've not taken the appropriate courses in your bachelors degree)

MAJORS: Biology, Business, Chemistry, Chemistry-Physics, Earth Science, English, Family Studies, French, Geography, German, History, Industrial Education, Integrated Science, Math, Physical Education, Physics, Health Education, Social Studies, Spanish, Speech, Visual Arts

MINORS: Bilingual education with Ojibwa Minor or Spanish Minor, Biology, Chemistry, Dance, Earth Science, English as a second language, English, French, General Business, Geography, German, History, Industrial Education, Math, Outdoor and Environmental Education, Physical Education, Physics, Health Educations, Spanish, Speech.

Northwestern Michigan College does not assume final responsibility for the accuracy of information on this guide. The final responsibility for the successful transfer of classes suggested on this guide rests with you and the institution you plan to transfer to. It is strongly recommended that you visit the institution as early in your academic career (prior to transfer) as possible.


up arrowscroll bardown arrow