NMC transfer guide - MACRAO

To: Michigan State University - Main Campus

Program: Secondary Education

The Secondary Education program at MSU is a 5-year program:

  • 1st and 2nd Years - Basic core requirements - A few beginning courses in major and minor.
  • 3rd and 4th Years - Professional Education - Teacher Education & Certification courses.
  • 5th Year - Internship Year
    • A full-time 9-month internship
    • 4 graduate-level courses - 12 credit hours of the 5th year can be applied to a Master's degree in Curriculum Education.

Students intending to qualify for Michigan Secondary provisional certification (valid to teach in Michigan grades 7-12 in a major and minor area) will complete a teaching major, a teaching minor, a sequence of professional courses, an Internship Studies program of 1 year, and pass designated competency test

Visit MSU's School of Education online for a complete list of majors and minors available.


  1. Formal Admission - Students seeking teacher certification must be formally admitted to the College of Education. After submitting a regular MSU Application, eligible students will receive information about applying on-line to the Teacher Education program. Admission is competitive.
  2. GPA - 3.0 or above.
  3. Transfer Credits - 60-64 credits is the maximum amount of credits students should take at NMC. MSU requires that on half of degree requirements be completed at a 4 year school. Students who accumulate more than 60-64 credits at NMC are still held accountable for completing one half of their degree at a 4 year school.
  4. Junior Status - Students are admitted into the School of Education at the Junior level (56 acceptable credits).
  5. Test - Students must pass all portions of the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification Basic Skills Test to be eligible for admission into the teacher certification program. NMC students can call Grand Valley State University at the University Center at 995-1785 to set up a time to take the test locally.
  6. Application Deadline - Applications to the School of Education are accepted once a year in the Spring semester. Applications and all supporting documents should be received by February 1. NMC recommends applying earlier if possible.
  7. Limited Enrollment - Some teaching majors are very competitive with limited openings available. It is recommended that History, Art and Foreign language majors transfer after only 1 year at NMC. Music and English majors may also experience limited openings. In the event a student is not directly admissible to the teaching major desired, the student may apply for admission into an alternate major choice and complete a separate application for consideration into the College of Ed. in a subsequent semester.
  8. Scholarship Opportunities - Students with a GPA of 3.5 or above should meet with an NMC counselor to discuss transfer scholarship possibilities.


The following courses are listed to facilitate transfer and fulfill University requirements at MSU. These courses may not fulfill requirements for the Associate of Arts or Science degree at NMC. If your goal is to complete an Associate degree before transferring, see a counselor for assistance. Completion of the MACRAO Agreement is important and will be met if you follow this guide. Request the MACRAO Stamp in the NMC Record's Office.



ENG 111, 112

English Composition



Choose 8 credits from 2 departments of the Humanities Division »

Special Note: NMC highly recommends that one of your choices be either HST 111 or HST 112 U.S. History. Although it is not absolutely required, taking U.S. History eliminates having to take an integrated writing & humanities course at MSU. Without a U.S. History course, transfer students can expect to take IAH 201 at MSU.


View Science & Math Division requirements »

Social Science

Four semester credits equivalent to any 200 – level ISS course at MSU. An additional 300-level social science course must be completed at MSU.

View Social Science Division requirements »


Students who complete MTH 121 College Algebra at NMC will receive enhanced admissions consideration. Students who delay starting math at NMC risk admission consideration at MSU. This can be met in one of 3 ways:

  1. Testing above the College Algebra level on a math competency test taken at MSU.
  2. Completing MTH 121 College Algebra
  3. Completing MTH 140 College Algebra and Trig.


Consult with a counselor about courses required for your specific teaching major or minor.

Northwestern Michigan College does not assume final responsibility for the accuracy of information on this guide. The final responsibility for the successful transfer of classes suggested on this guide rests with you and the institution you plan to transfer to. It is strongly recommended that you visit the institution as early in your academic career (prior to transfer) as possible.

Section Navigation Academic Programs
up arrowscroll bardown arrow