The Outreach Services staff can explain Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) educational benefits, as well as help you apply for these benefits. We maintain up-to-date information and can advise you on guidelines for receiving and keeping benefits.
We understand that starting school can be a big transition, we have your 6! Our door is always open and you are welcome to come sit down with us and we can help you through this process..
Eligibility for DVA educational benefits rests solely with the DVA. You may contact them by calling (888) 442-4551 or visiting the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs:
- Meet with your Military & Veteran Services Point of Contact (POC) - Call Outreach Services at (231) 995-2524 or Scott Herzberg at (231) 995-2526
- Educate yourself about Military & Veterans Education Benefits at NMC »
- Apply for Admissions to Northwestern Michigan College » - Select Military Application when applying and the $20 application fee will be waived.
- Apply for your Military &/or Veterans Benefits »
- Register for eBenefits, which allows you to view and manage your VA benefits»
- Send your official high school, military, and college transcripts to NMC's Registrar's office
- Academic Transcript Request Form (PDF) (use this form to request high school and college transcripts)**NMC requires that all students send their high school transcripts. Official copies of all transcripts are required.
- Army, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard Transcripts can be requested iva Joint Services Transcript (JST)»
- Air Force transcripts can be requested at (link)»
- If you are transferring your VA Education Benefits from a different college to NMC, you will need to fill our Form 22-1995»
- Apply for your FAFSA PIN (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) - Even if you are fully covered by Military Benefits, this will open up other scholarship opportunities and financial assistance
- Apply for FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) »
- Learn more about your Financial Aid options at studentaid.ed.gov »
- Take NMC's Placement test for Math and English: COMPASS
- If you have previous college credits, see an advisor or NMC's POC first
- Sign up for Orientation (Orientation is required for all students, and you will register for classes at this time)
- NMC offers orientation session specifically for veterans. If you have any questions and/or are interested in attending a veteran-specific orientation, please contact Scott Herzberg, NMC's POC of Military & Veterans Services, at (231) 995-2526. Veterans who do not wish to attend an orientation specifically for veterans may sign up through NMC's Admissions Office.
- Turn in paperwork to our Certifying Official(s):
- VA Benefits Eligibility Letter
- Copy of your NMC Class Schedule
- Remember to check your NMC e-mail - For important financial aid and registration information!
- Purchase books and get ready to start classes ~ Welcome to NMC!
- Join the NMC Student Veterans of America student group »