Grade Point Re-Evaluation

Northwestern Michigan College offers enrolled students an opportunity to improve upon a cumulative grade point average by repeating a course or courses, or by petitioning for a grade point reevaluation.

One of two options may be chosen:

  1. One term/semester or consecutive terms/semesters with GPA(s) of below 1.5 may be considered.
  2. One course with a grade of 1.0 or below may be excluded from the grade point from one semester only, regardless of total term/semester GPA.

After the term or semester in which the GPA re-evaluation is desired, a student must complete a minimum of 15 NMC credits and at least two consecutive semesters with a 2.0 or better GPA in each semester before initiating the request for reevaluation. Upon the recommendation of the Advising Center, the Registrar will determine whether additional courses or semesters are necessary.

All courses and grades will remain on the permanent record but will not be used in the GPA computation. Courses with grades of 2.0 or better that fall within the terms/semesters which were reevaluated will be counted toward graduation. However, the credits from all reevaluated course(s) will not be counted towards meeting the graduation requirement of having completed a minimum of 15 NMC credits for a degree or 12 NMC credits for a certificate.

A student may exercise this policy option only once.

College departments which have published admissions or continued enrollment standards that are more restrictive than general college requirements retain the right to approve or deny re-admission to a specific program. The student's NMC GPA may be recomputed when transferring to other institutions. This is the prerogative of the receiving institution. Final approval of any such request will be awarded in writing by the Registrar in consultation with the Advising Center.

With appropriate rationale for not repeating course work, a student may be approved for a grade point re-evaluation. A student who wishes to pursue this option may call the Advising Center for petitions and further information: (231) 995-1040.

Section Navigation Student Services & Resources