NMC Transfer Guide - MTA

To: Central Michigan University - Main Campus

Program: biology

A major and minor in biology may be chosen by students interested in diverse career fields, including elementary and secondary teaching, natural resources, medical technology, pre-med, pre-osteopathy and pre-veterinary, as well as prepare students for graduate work. Courses listed below are designed for the pre-professional/pre-graduate level student. Teaching, conservation, med tech or biology minor will require different courses. Speak with an advisor for assistance.

Biology Majors

  1. Biomedical, Cellular and Molecular Concentration
  2. Ecology, Evolution and Conservation Concentration
  3. Education
  4. Microscopy Concentration

Admission Criteria

  1. 2.7 GPA necessary for teaching biology majors or minors
  2. Transfer students must complete graduation competencies for CMU (Eng 111, 112; Com 111; MTH 111) at NMC or they will be required to complete these classes during their first or second semester at CMU.
  3. CMU does not accept grades lower than 2.0 for transfer. Please visit CMU early in your academic career.

Basic Requirements

Upon request at the NMC Records and Registration Office, a statement will be placed on your transcript, "MICHIGAN TRANSFER AGREEMENT (MTA) SATISFIED". Completion of the MTA will satisfy CMU's University Program requirements and 6 credits of their Writing Intensive requirement.

Required Classes

Academic Area




ENG 111, 112

English Composition (3.0 required in Eng 111 or 112 for Teacher Education)




Select 2 courses representing 2 departments from Group 1 Humanities List


Natural Science


BIO 115, 116

Cell, Plant and Ecosystem Biology; Genetic, Evolution and Animal Biology


CHM 150 & 151

General Chemistry I & II


Select one of the following Organic Chemistry options for majors 1, 2 and 4:


1. CHM 201

Intro to Organic Chemistry





2. CHM 250 & 251

Organic Chemistry I & II


PHY 121

General Physics I (will satisfy CMU's Quantitative Reasoning requirement)


PHY 122

General Physics II (majors 1, 3 & 4)


Social Science


Select 2 courses representing 2 departments from Group 1 Social Science List




MTH 141

Calculus I


Additional Requirements

Required Classes



COM 111

Public Speaking


NOTE: If you plan on seeking certification in elementary or secondary education, see an advisor for course selection, or use the appropriate transfer guide for elementary or secondary education.

Northwestern Michigan College does not assume final responsibility for the accuracy of information on this guide. The final responsibility for the successful transfer of classes suggested on this guide rests with you and the institution you plan to transfer to. It is strongly recommended that you visit the institution as early in your academic career (prior to transfer) as possible.

Updated: Summer 2023