NMC Transfer Guide - MTA

To: Central Michigan University - Main Campus

Program: Communication Disorders

To work as a speech-language pathologist or audiologist, you are required to fulfill the academic and clinical requirements for the Certificate of Clinical Competence of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). This certification requires completion of a master's degree. Your study of communication disorders at the undergraduate level must be carefully tailored to lead into study at the graduate level. Students will choose between a Doctor of Audiology or a Master's in Speech Pathology.

At CMU, the undergraduate and graduate level programs are designed to complement one another and to lead to ASHA certification.

ADMISSION INTO THE MASTER'S PROGRAM IS HIGHLY COMPETITIVE. Although you may complete a bachelor's program, this does not entitle you to be ASHA certified. Please consult with a CMU advisor as early in your academic career as possible. You may consider transferring to CMU after meeting MTA and additional graduation requirements.

Transfer students must complete graduation competencies for CMU (Eng 111, 112; COM 111; MTH 111) at NMC or they will be required to complete these classes during their first or second semester at CMU.


Upon request at the NMC Records and Registration Office, a statement will be placed on your transcript, "MICHIGAN TRANSFER AGREEMENT (MTA) SATISFIED". Completion of the MTA will satisfy CMU's University Program requirements and 6 credits of their Writing Intensive requirement.

Required Classes

Academic Area




ENG 111, 112

English Composition (3.0 required in English 111 or 112 if you plan on being a certified teacher)




Select 2 courses representing 2 departments from Group 1 Humanities list


Natural Science


Select 2 courses representing 2 departments from Group 1 Natural Science list


Social Science


Select 2 courses representing 2 departments from Group 1 Social Science list




Select MTH 120 or above

(consider MTH 131)


 Additional Requirements

Required Classes



COM 111

Public Speaking


MTH 111

Intermediate Algebra


CMU's Quantitative Reasoning (QR) requirement can be met at NMC with MTH 131, PHY 121 or PHY 221. MTH 131 cannot count toward both the QR requirement and the math requirement for CMU.

If you wish to have a degree from NMC, please consult with a counselor to complete requirements.

Northwestern Michigan College does not assume final responsibility for the accuracy of information on this guide. The final responsibility for the successful transfer of classes suggested on this guide rests with you and the institution you plan to transfer to. It is strongly recommended that you visit the institution as early in your academic career (prior to transfer) as possible.

Updated: Summer 2023