Skip to main content

NMC Transfer Guide - MTA

To: Central Michigan University - University Center

Program: elementary education

Integrated Science major and Planned Program minor in Teaching Methods.

Successful completion of this program will result in recommendation for Elementary certification with an Integrated Science major (DI endorsement). The graduate from the Elementary Education program will be certified to teach all subjects in grades K-5, Science in grades 6-8, and all subjects in a self-contained classroom grades K-8.

Admission Criteria

  1. Minimum overall GPA of 3.0. GPA does not guarantee admission into the program. All courses must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 to transfer to CMU.
  2. ENG 111, 112, and EDU 101 must be completed with a 3.0 or better.
  3. Completion of the SAT exam is required for admission. Please contact the CMU office in Traverse City for details (231-995-1756).

Please meet with CMU during your first semester at NMC. You may be able to complete some program requirements prior to being in CMU's program. Before taking the science courses listed below, it is essential that you sign your major at CMU through the University Center. CMU may allow course substitutions for some courses if you had completed these courses prior to deciding to attend CMU, but DO NOT take alternate courses if not listed on this guide. CMU's program is subject to change; check with CMU and NMC for changes each semester.

CMU Contact:

(231) 995-1756

Basic Requirements

Upon request at the NMC Records and Registration Office, a statement will be placed on your transcript, "MICHIGAN TRANSFER AGREEMENT (MTA) SATISFIED". Completion of the MTA will satisfy CMU's Univeristy Program requirements and 6 credits of their Writing Intensive requirement.

Required Classes

Academic Area




ENG 111, 112

English Composition 1 & 2 (ENG 111 or 112 requires a 3.0)




ENG 210

Children's Literature


HST 111

U.S. History to 1865


HST 230

History of Michigan


Natural Science


*CHM 101

Intro to Chemistry


Please have your major signed at the UC before taking the following science classes.

*AST 109

Planetary Astronomy


*BIO 106

Human Biology


*BIO 110

Essential Biology (BIO 109 can be substituted if taken prior to Fall 2012)


*ENV 111

Physical Geology


*ENV 104 or ENV 112

Life of the Past or Historical Geology


*ENV 103 or ENV 117 or GEO 105

Earth Science or Meteorology/Climatology or Physical Geography


Social Science


GEO 101

Intro to Geography


GEO 108

Geography of US and Canada


PLS 101

Intro to American Politics


PSY 101

Introduction to Psychology


PSY 211

Developmental Psychology (This class is a prerequisite for CMU's EDU classes. Take before transferring)




*MTH 121

College Algebra


Additional Requirements

Required Classes



COM 111

Public Speaking


EDU 101

Intro to Teaching (must receive 3.0 or better) Good for 7 years


MTH 111

Intermediate Algebra


* The overall GPA for these courses must be greater than or equal to 2.7.

Northwestern Michigan College does not assume final responsibility for the accuracy of information on this guide. The final responsibility for the successful transfer of classes suggested on this guide rests with you and the institution you plan to transfer to. It is strongly recommended that you visit the institution as early in your academic career (prior to transfer) as possible.

Updated: Fall 2018

Section Navigation Academic Programs