NMC Transfer Guide - MTA

To: Central Michigan University - Main Campus

Program: Journalism

CMU's Department of Journalism offers several majors, including: Advertising; Broadcast & Cinematic Arts: Fine Arts Concentration; Broadcast & Cinematic Arts; Integrative Public Relations; Journalism; Journalism: Public Relations Concentration and Photojournalism. CMU's program is accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications. For more information, call (989) 774-3196.

Admission Criteria

  1. An overall GPA of 2.5 is required for all journalism courses counted toward major.
  2. Courses with a GPA below 2.0 will not transfer.
  3. Programs in journalism at CMU offer both Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees. Please meet advisors at NMC and CMU to discuss your preferred option.
  4. This is becoming a limited enrollment program and CMU recommends you transfer after one year at NMC. Consider completing MTA and transferring to CMU. Contact CMU as early as possible while at NMC.

Basic Requirements

Upon request at the NMC Records and Registration Office, a statement will be placed on your transcript, "MICHIGAN TRANSFER AGREEMENT (MTA) SATISFIED". Completion of the MTA will satisfy CMU's University Program requirements and 6 credits of their Writing Intensive requirement.

Required Classes

Academic Area




ENG 111, 112

English Composition I & II




Select 2 courses representing 2 departments from the Group 1 Humanities List


Natural Science


Select 2 courses representing 2 departments from the Group 1 Natural Science list including one LECTURE/LAB


Social Science


Select 2 courses representing 2 departments from the Group 1 Social Science list




Select MTH 120 or above from the Group 1 Math list


Major And Additional Requirements

Required Classes



ART 175

Color Photography I (if pursuing photojournalism major)


COM 111

Public Speaking


ENG 224

Journalism Fundamentals (if taken at CMU, this course will also count toward CMU's Writing Intensive requirement)


MTH 111

Intermediate Algebra


CMU's Quantitative Reasoning (QR) requirement can be met at NMC with MTH 131, PHY 121 or PHY 221. MTH 131 cannot count toward both the QR requirement and the math requirement for CMU. Depending on your journalism major, there may be a required CMU course for your major that also satisfies the QR requirement.

At CMU you will have to choose a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BS) degree.

BACHELOR OF ARTS – Students pursuing this degree should complete 2 years of a foreign language at the college level. Additional courses will be required, but due to the complexity of the requirements, it would be best to work with an Advisor at NMC and CMU.

BACHELOR OF SCIENCE – Students pursuing this degree will be required to take Humanities and Social Science courses in addition to the courses taken to satisfy the MTA. Listed below are courses you may select to complete most of the requirements. Keep in mind that it is important to work with Advisors at both NMC and CMU when selecting courses from the following areas:

Area 1: Humanities

Select 6 credits from any department(s) listed below:

  • Art (ART)
  • English (ENG)
  • French (FRN)
  • Humanities (HUM)
  • Music (MUS)
  • Philosophy (PHL)
  • Spanish (SPN)

Area 2: Natural Science

Select 6 credits from any department(s) listed below:

  • Astronomy (AST)
  • Biology (BIO)
  • Chemistry (CHM)
  • Environmental Science (ENV)
  • GEO 105 or GEO 115
  • Mathematics (MTH) - MTH 111 or above
  • Physics (PHY)

Area 3: Social Science

Select 6 credits from any department(s) listed below:

  • Anthropology (ANT)
  • Economics (ECO)
  • Geography (GEO) – excluding GEO 105-105L
  • History (HST)
  • Political Science (PLS)
  • Psychology (PSY)
  • Sociology (SOC)

Northwestern Michigan College does not assume final responsibility for the accuracy of information on this guide. The final responsibility for the successful transfer of classes suggested on this guide rests with you and the institution you plan to transfer to. It is strongly recommended that you visit the institution as early in your academic career (prior to transfer) as possible.

Updated: Summer 2023