NMC Transfer Guide - MTA

To: Central Michigan University - Main Campus

Program: Psychology

A major in Psychology at the Bachelor level can be used in many occupations. However, if you are interested in pursuing a field in which therapeutic treatment is required, graduate work will be necessary. With a Bachelor in Psychology, you can pursue graduate work in counseling, social work or psychology.

Admission Criteria

  1. GPA - Graduating CMU's program with a 3.0 is highly recommended.
  2. Grades less than a 2.0 will not transfer to CMU.
  3. Transfer students must complete graduation competencies for CMU (Eng 111, 112; Com 111; MTH 111) at NMC or they will be required to complete these classes during their first or second semester at CMU.

Basic Requirements

Upon request at the NMC Records and Registration Office, a statement will be placed on your transcript, "MICHIGAN TRANSFER AGREEMENT (MTA) SATISFIED". Completion of the MTA will satisfy CMU's University Program requirements and 6 credits of their Writing Intensive requirement.

Required Classes

Academic Area




ENG 111, 112

English Composition I & II




Select 2 courses representing 2 departments from the Group 1 Humanities List


Natural Science


Select 2 courses representing 2 departments from the Group 1 Natural Science list including one LECTURE/LAB


Social Science


PSY 101

Intro to Psychology


CMU's psychology major is extremely flexible. In addition to PSY 101, up to 12 credits of PSY electives may be taken at NMC.

Select an additional Group 1 Social Science course from a department other than PSY




Select 1 course (MTH 120 or above) from the Group 1 Math list


Graduation Requirements

Required Class



COM 111

Public Speaking


CMU's Quantitative Reasoning (QR) requirement can be met at NMC with MTH 131, PHY 121 or 221. MTH 131 cannot count toward both the QR requirement and the math requirement for CMU.

At CMU you will have to choose a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BS) degree.

BACHELOR OF ARTS – Students pursuing this degree should complete 2 years of a foreign language at the college level. Additional courses will be required, but due to the complexity of the requirements, it would be best to work with an Advisor at NMC and CMU.

BACHELOR OF SCIENCE – Students pursuing this degree will be required to take Humanities, Natural Science and Social Science courses in addition to courses taken to satisfy the MTA. These courses may be taken at NMC or CMU. Listed below are courses you may select to complete most of the requirements, keep in mind that it is Important to work with Advisors at both NMC and CMU when selecting courses from the following areas:

Area 1: Humanities

Select 6 credits from any department(s) listed below:

  • Art (ART)
  • English (ENG)
  • French (FRN)
  • Humanities (HUM)
  • Music (MUS)
  • Philosophy (PHL)
  • Spanish (SPN)

Area 2: Natural Science

Select 6–12 credits from any department(s) listed below:

  • Astronomy (AST)
  • Biology (BIO)
  • Chemistry (CHM)
  • Environmental Science (ENV)
  • GEO 105 or 115
  • Mathematics (MTH) - MTH 111 or above
  • Physics (PHY)

Area 3: Social Science

Select 6 credits from any department(s) listed below:

  • Anthropology (ANT)
  • Economics (ECO)
  • Geography (GEO) - excluding GEO 105-105L
  • History (HST)
  • Political Science (PLS)
  • Psychology (PSY)
  • Sociology (SOC)

Northwestern Michigan College does not assume final responsibility for the accuracy of information on this guide. The final responsibility for the successful transfer of classes suggested on this guide rests with you and the institution you plan to transfer to. It is strongly recommended that you visit the institution as early in your academic career (prior to transfer) as possible.

Updated: Summer 2023