NMC Transfer Guide - MTA

To: Grand Valley State University - Main Campus

Program: Special Ed - Elementary Ed. (Allendale campus)

It is essential that you make contact with Grand Valley immediately for changes in their education program. Please call (231) 995-1785.

Students are also required to complete certification as a regular Elementary Teacher. A student will be endorsed to teach Special Education in grades K–12, and all subjects in grades K–5.

Programs are approved by the Michigan Department of Education and accredited by the National Council of Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). The College of Education offers programs leading to bachelor's degree and Michigan Provisional Certification. Certification is available in elementary general education, secondary general education, or elementary education with special education endorsements.

CONTACT an advisor early in your NMC career by calling the College of Education at (616) 331-6650.

Admission Criteria

  1. Application deadline for the College of Education is February 1st for fall admission and field placement. Application packets are available in the College of Education.
  2. GVSU College of Education | GVSU Transfer Guide | GVSU Special Education Information
  3. GPA - Minimum of GVSU 2.7 - Does not guarantee admission to the School of Education. This is a limited enrollment program, therefore a higher GPA may be required. The average GPA over the last several years is 3.0.
  4. Students completing the Bachelor of Science degree should take MTH 131; students completing the Bachelor of Arts degree should take three semesters of a single foreign language.

Basic Requirements

The following courses will complete requirements for an Associate in Arts degree, and most of the general education requirements from GVSU. Students are strongly encouraged to stay in contact with a GVSU advisor for any program updates.

NOTE: Both a Global Perspective and a U.S. Diversity course are required to receive a bachelor's degree from GVSU. NMC courses that transfer as Global Perspective or US Diversity can be chosen from Humanities or Social Science and will double count. For example, ANT 113 will count as both a Social Science and a Global Perspective class. Refer to GVSU's general education guide: gvsu.edu/gened/

Upon request at the NMC Records and Registration Office, a statement will be placed on your transcript, "MICHIGAN TRANSFER AGREEMENT (MTA) SATISFIED."

Required Classes

Academic Area




ENG 111 English Composition


ENG 112 English Composition




HST 102 Western Civilization from 1500


GVSU Global Perspective requirement (select one course here or one course under Social Science): ART 111, ART 112, ENG 241, ENG 263, ENG 271, FRN 202, GRM 202, HST 228, HST 235, HUM 116, PHL 121, PHL 122, SPN 202.

To meet the Humanities requirement, students can either take an Intermediate Foreign Language class if pursuing the Bachelors of Arts, a GVSU World Perspective requirement or select a course outside of the HST area.

Natural Science


Select 2 courses representing 2 departments from the Group 1 Natural Science list including one LECTURE/LAB


Social Science


PSY 101 Introduction to Psychology


PSY 212 Psychology of the Exceptional Child


GVSU Global Perspective requirement (select one course here or one course under Humanities): ANT 113, GEO 109, PLS 132, PLS 211.

Select additional classes if needed from the Social Science area totaling 6 credits from more than one department



For the Bachelors of Science:

MTH 131 Probability and Statistics

For the Bachelor of Arts:

Select 1 course (MTH 120 or above) from the Group 1 Math list

NOTE: Depending on your teaching major/minor, to meet GVSU's Mathematical Sciences requirement, take MTH 121 or above OR take a logic class at GVSU.


Additional Requirements

Required Classes



CD 202 Human Growth and Development


MTH 111 Intermediate Algebra


NOTE: Students may choose a Bachelor in Arts or Science. For a Bachelor in Arts, choose 3 semesters of a foreign language. For a bachelor in science choose MTH 131 Probability and Statistics. (The second year of a foreign language may count toward a humanities listed above and MTH 131 will count toward your math and science basic requirements also listed above.)


The Professional Readiness Examination

We recommend you register for, and take the Professional Readiness Examination (previously called Michigan Basic Skills Test) your second semester at NMC. This will allow you time to take additional courses and repeat the test if necessary. In addition, some Education programs require the test results early in your second year at NMC for admission into their program. Be sure to keep the results of your test.

Northwestern Michigan College does not assume final responsibility for the accuracy of information on this guide. The final responsibility for the successful transfer of classes suggested on this guide rests with you and the institution you plan to transfer to. It is strongly recommended that you visit the institution as early in your academic career (prior to transfer) as possible.

Updated: Summer 2023