NMC Transfer Guide - MTA

To: Western Michigan University - Main Campus

Program: Special Education-Elementary & Secondary

NOTE: WMU has a 10-year catalog from when you began college for those pursuing Education. The catalog year is the year you start at NMC as long as you transfer directly to WMU within 3 years of starting at NMC. This means your GPA requirements will follow that catalog as well. Information on what catalog requirements you are to follow are located at: wmich.edu/education/advising. Click on the Special Education Major link. There you will find upper-level admission requirements and applications, program guides, transfer guides, teachable major and minor options, and other helpful information. If you were following a different guide than this one, please consult with advising at: cehd-advising@wmich.edu .

You may also contact for questions: Christine Robinson, Director of Advising, College of Education and Human Development, coe-advising@wmich.edu, (269) 387-3474

WMU's special education major qualifies you to teach grades K-5 in all subjects, grades K-8 in all subjects when teaching in a self-contained classroom, and grades K-12 in special education with learning disabilities or emotional impairments.

For more specific information and help with any additional questions, including how your NMC courses will transfer to WMU, how to apply to WMU or how to apply to the upper level for your program, you may email WMU Advising directly at cehd-advising@wmich.edu . We also encourage you to meet with a WMU advisor early in your NMC program. Visit their website for advising meeting options: wmich.edu/education/advising.

Basic Requirements

Completion of the BASIC requirements as listed at NMC will fulfill most of the general education requirements at WMU. WMU requires two additional General Education courses at the 3000-4000 level to be taken at WMU plus an upper level writing requirement (Proficiency #2 at WMU). Upon request at the NMC Records Office, a statement will be placed on your transcript, "MICHIGAN TRANSFER AGREEMENT (MTA) SATISFIED."

NOTE: When choosing courses below, be sure to consult the WMU Special Education Guides found on the WMU advising website and choose the course(s) that will also count in your teaching major. For further guidance in choosing the correct courses, be sure to reach out to WMU advising.

After successful completion of the five-year WMU program subject area tests, students are recommended for the Michigan Elementary Provisional Certificate with the appropriate special education endorsement.

Required Classes

Academic Area


Communications (Both ENG required for MTA and NMC's ASA. WMU only requires one.)


ENG 111

English Composition


ENG 112

English Composition




Choose one course below


HST 111

US History to 1865


HST 112

US History since 1865


Select 1 addl. course from the Group 1 Humanities list, not HST


Natural Science


Select 2 courses representing 2 departments from the Group 1 Natural Science list including one LECTURE/LAB


Social Science


GEO 109

World Regional Geography


PLS 101

Introduction to American Politics


PSY 101

Intro to Psychology (Required Pre-requisite for PSY 211, recommended pre-requisite for ECE 202)


Choose one course below


PSY 211

Developmental Psychology


ECE 202

Human Development and Learning (group 2 social science class)




Select MTH 120 or above to meet MTA and receive NMC's ASA degree


(Math for elementary teachers at WMU will meet WMU's math requirement, but if NMC's ASA degree is desired, MTH 120 or above is required.)


Additional Requirements

Required Classes



EDU 101

Intro to Teaching (Not required by WMU but recommended by NMC to experience teaching.


Completion of at least 60 credits, including those listed above, fulfills the requirements of NMC's associate's degree.

Northwestern Michigan College does not assume final responsibility for the accuracy of information on this guide. The final responsibility for the successful transfer of classes suggested on this guide rests with you and the institution you plan to transfer to. It is strongly recommended that you visit the institution as early in your academic career (prior to transfer) as possible.

Updated: Summer 2023