Grand Traverse Area
The Great Lakes Maritime Academy is located in Traverse City, which is well known as the Cherry Capital of the World.
With the proximity to Lake Michigan and Grand Traverse Bay, as well as many inland lakes and rolling hills, the Grand Traverse Region is a major tourist destination and known for its high quality of life during all four seasons.
Traverse City has been named:
- One of American's Five Top Foodie Towns, Bon Appetit
- One of the Top 10 Places to Enjoy Local Wines, USA Today
- One of America's Top Ten Wine Destinations, TripAdvisor.com
- #8 in list of America's Top Ten Beach Towns and a Top 10 "Coolest Towns in the States, AOL Travel News
- Second place in Our Top 10 Charming Small Towns, TripAdvisor.com
- On the Top Ten list of Surprising Foodie Towns, Livability.com
- One of Midwest's Five Top Food Towns, Midwest Living
- One of America's Top Adventure Towns, NationalGeographic.com