- DD-214 forms are available online through the National Personnel Records Center. More »
You can use the following PDF forms to request transcripts from these branches of the military (links open in a new browser window):
- Maritime classes for incoming first-year cadets begin fall semester only. Formal reviews for acceptance will be made by the director of admissions until the class is full. The Academy admits 60 cadets each year; early completion of application materials is advised.
- FAFSA forms should be completed as soon as possible after Jan. 1 to be eligible for maximum aid.
Veterans who are eligible for education benefits through the Veterans Administration should contact the Veteran's Advisor in the NMC Admissions Office. The Veterans Office exists to assist veterans and other eligible persons admitted to the Great Lakes Maritime Academy in completing and processing VA forms for college. The Veterans Office phone number is (231) 995-1057.
- A high school diploma or GED
- United States citizen
- No prior or pending misdemeanors, felonies or legal expungements
- United States Coast Guard physical standards and all requirements for licensing as a United States Merchant Marine Officer, as established by federal law
- ACT or SAT minimum requirements or COMPASS placement test results or transferable Intermediate Algebra and English Composition college credits.
|ACT (Academy code 1978)|
|SAT (Academy code 6982)|
|COMPASS Placement Test|
Please note these are the minimal score sets required to be considered for admission into the Academy. Acceptance is competitive.
A completed Application includes:
- Official copies of high school or college transcripts from all schools attended
- Merchant Mariner Credential Medical Evaluation Report (PDF) »
- Two letters of recommendation with contact information
- Undeleted DD-214, Armed Services Discharge Report. Find necessary forms here »
- A campus visit is required. Schedule your campus visit »
FINANCIAL RESOURCES FOR VETERANS
- G.I. Bill Information »
- Vocational Rehabilitation »
- Learn more about financial aid »
NMC Veteran Scholarships — NMC also offers a scholarship specifically for veterans. The Bobby L. and Karen J. Thompson Veterans Scholarship provides a $1,000 annual award to a student veteran enrolled in at least six credits. Search the scholarship database »