Living arrangements are at the discretion of the cadet, unless they are under 20 years of age. This group of cadets will be required to live one year in the residence hall (unless they have completed one year of academics at another college or university). To find out more about the residence hall, including rates and how to reserve your room, click here: RESIDENCE HALL.
Cadets over 20 years of age have on-campus and off-campus housing options. If you choose to rent, careful research on rental or lease agreements, your rights as a renter, and resources for renters is recommended. We have included some resources below that students have used in the past for renting and/or purchasing housing. Please note that the Maritime Academy/Northwestern Michigan College does not endorse, verify or otherwise condone rental from any external agencies/organizations.
- Northwestern Michigan College Housing options for those 21 and older:
- External resources for rentals and/or sales:
- Craigslist - Listings by owners
- MSHDA Michigan Housing Locator - State government housing
- Zillow - Independent real estate listings
- Realtor.com - Independent real estate listings
- MLive - Michigan news and information (including housing)
- Traverse City Ticker - Local news, calendars, classifieds, etc.
- Traverse City Record-Eagle Classifieds - Local newspaper
- TAAR - Traverse Area Association of Realtors
- For Sale By Owner - Independent listings
- Apartments.com - Independent listings
- Popular Apartment Complexes (many more exist, these are just a few)
- Smaller resorts may offer long term affordable housing "off season." The off season typically runs Labor Day to Memorial Day. Many are privately owned and are too numerous to list. However, there are a few nearby the Academy and Northwestern Michigan College Campus.