With an associate's degree in Freshwater Studies, graduates can continue in a bachelor's degree program or enter directly into industry jobs. More »
Freshwater Studies combines unique courses and field experiences leading toward multiple career pathways in water resources. More »
Great Lakes Water Studies Institute
Located at the Great Lakes Campus on Grand Traverse Bay, the Great Lakes Water Studies Institute (GLWSI) at Northwestern Michigan College is strategically positioned to engage individuals and organizations, both locally and globally, in advancing skills, knowledge and understanding of the world’s dynamic water resources.
What We Offer
- The first associate's degree in Freshwater Studies in the U.S. »
- An associate's degree with a Marine Technology major »
- A new bachelor's degree with a Marine Technology major »
- Multiple career pathways including bachelor's degree programs
- Innovative education, internships and research opportunities
- Collaboration with industry, government, universities and community
- Unique assets: R/V Northwestern, ROV, hydrographic sonar, water research laboratory
Transition seamlessly from ASA to BS
NMC has collaborated with Western Michigan University to offer a BS in Freshwater Science and Sustainability degree in Traverse City. Program highlights:
- Interdisciplinary degree with numerous career paths
- Integrated curriculum, scheduling and advising
- Financial aid agreement allowing for combined courses counting toward aid
- All coursework offered in Traverse City
Find out more: Freshwater Science & Sustainability Bachelor's Degree »
May 22–28, 2016
Please join us for a week-long, hands-on experience using several marine technologies. Participants will log time on research vessels, collect data using ROVs, sonar, sensors and buoys and learn about the multiple applications of these technologies.
Fall 2015 – enrolling now.
AREAS OF EMPHASIS
- Marine vehicles and instrumentation
- Marine data processing and management
- Marine acoustics and sonar platforms
- Project planning and management
- Marine mapping and hydrography
- Marine construction
- Marine exploration
- Marine science and research
- Environmental monitoring
Contact Heather Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (231) 995-1300.
The Freshwater Studies program's new brochure describes career options, program highlights, and what our grads are doing. Check it out!