With an associate's degree in Freshwater Studies, graduates can continue in a bachelor's degree program or enter directly into industry jobs. More »
Freshwater Studies combines unique courses and field experiences leading toward multiple career pathways in water resources. More »
The Freshwater Studies program's new brochure describes career options, program highlights, and what our grads are doing. Check it out!
Students in NMC's Freshwater Studies, Aviation and Plant Science programs have just returned from their internship experience in Costa Rica. It was the fifth trip to work with professionals at EARTH University. Read about their efforts to study environmental problems using watershed science and Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) to examine EARTH University's banana plantation and the fungus that threatens banana production around the world.
Great Lakes Water Studies Institute
Located at the Great Lakes Campus on Grand Traverse Bay, the Great Lakes Water Studies Institute (GLWSI) at Northwestern Michigan College is strategically positioned to engage individuals and organizations, both locally and globally, in advancing skills, knowledge and understanding of the world’s dynamic water resources.
What We Offer
- The first associate degree in Freshwater Studies in the U.S.
- Multiple career pathways including bachelor degree programs
- Innovative education, internships and research opportunities
- Collaboration with industry, government, universities and community
- Unique assets: R/V Northwestern, ROV, hydrographic sonar, water research laboratory
Transition seamlessly from ASA to BS
NMC has collaborated with Western Michigan University to offer a BS in Freshwater Science and Sustainability degree in Traverse City. Program highlights:
- Interdisciplinary degree with numerous career paths
- Integrated curriculum, scheduling and advising
- Financial aid agreement allowing for combined courses counting toward aid
- All coursework offered in Traverse City
Find out more: Freshwater Science & Sustainability Bachelor's Degree »