An outside view of the Timothy J. Nelson Innovation Center and Campus Store

Consortium Agreements

A consortium agreement is a written agreement between two or more eligible schools to provide financial aid to a student attending these schools. Under a consortium agreement, the student’s enrollment at each school is factored in when awarding financial aid. A student can only receive federal financial aid for courses that count toward the student’s degree or certificate.

  • Is there a difference between an Articulation Agreement and a Consortium Agreement?

    • YES! An Articulation Agreement is an agreement between or among institutions of higher education that specifies the acceptability of courses in transfer toward meeting specific degree or program requirements.
  • Do I need to sign up to be a consortium student?

  • What does "Home" and "Host" school mean?

    • "Home" school is the college you are seeking a degree or certificate from and is processing your federal financial aid. "Host" school is the college you are attending approved credits toward your degree or certificate at the "Home" college.
  • Can I split my financial aid between two schools?

    • You can receive federal financial aid at only one college at a time. If you will be taking classes at two or more schools at the same time, you will want to work with your financial aid advisor to determine which school to request your federal financial aid.
  • Who do I pay?

    • You will have charges at each college. Your "Home" college will first apply your financial aid to your account at the "Home" college. If you have excess funds, you will receive a refund to use toward your charges at the "Host" college. It is the student's responsibility to pay the "Host" college.
  • How do I pay the "Host" college?

    • You have options:
    • You can pay out of pocket. (If you receive a refund from your "Home" college, you can reimburse yourself.)
    • Some colleges offer payment plans or a deferment option for payment. Check with your "Host" college to make payment arrangements. You will want to make payment or arrangements before the "Host" college payment due date.
  • Does NMC have a deferment payment option?

    • Yes! If you are expecting a refund from your "Home" college, you can complete the Deferment Agreement for Consortium Students form along with the required documentation. Ferris State University students can enroll through their NMC Self-Service account at Student Billing > Payment Plans > Enroll in a Deferred Payment Plan for Ferris Consortium Students
  • Do I need to request my transcript be sent to my "Home" college?

    • You do not need to request a copy of your transcript be sent to your "Home" college. By signing your consortium agreement, NMC will send the "Home" college your transcript.
  • Who determines my Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for financial aid eligibility?

    • The "Home" college's Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy will be used to calculate your SAP and determine eligibility at their institution.
  • Can NMC be my "Home" college?

    • Yes, if you are seeking a degree or certificate from NMC and need to take a required course at another eligible college. Contact a Financial Aid Advisor for more information.

Types of Financial Aid

Scholarships & Grants

Graphic showing a dollar sign and graduation cap

Money you usually don't have to pay back


Photo of two students with laptops

Money you earn to help pay for educational expenses


Photo of a glass jar marked "college" containing loose change

Money you have to pay back


Free, 1:1 assistance completing your FAFSA. Schedule an appointment:

If you have an NMC login

If you don't have an NMC login

Emergency Assistance

For students experiencing hardships during their time at NMC.

Contact Us

Important Dates