You can take classes at NMC that will transfer to another school, even if NMC does not have the same major that you will pursue when you transfer.
Consult our transfer guides for various schools you are considering, so you know what to take at NMC first.
Reverse transfer agreements help students finish earning their associate's degree from a two-year college like NMC while working on their bachelor’s degree at a four-year college or university. NMC has reverse transfer agreements with eight Michigan universities. Learn more »
About half of NMC students enroll with the intention of transferring to a four-year school to complete their degree. This checklist will help you transfer smoothly.
If you want to complete your degree in Traverse City, you can choose from more than 50 programs offered through NMC’s University Center partners.
A Transfer Checklist
Meet with an NMC Academic Advisor
- Discuss your transfer plan, including associate degree requirements, general education, and transferability of courses.
- Be sure you take NMC courses that will transfer. For information on transferring course credit to specific schools or for specific majors, use our Transfer Guides »
Evaluate Colleges and Decide Early!
- Contact the transfer school admissions office and speak with an advisor specializing in transfer.
- Note the name of the advisor you spoke with. Keep accurate records of your discussions (who, what, when) and make copies of everything you send.
- Review application procedures and timelines for admission and financial aid.
Visit Transfer School
- Call the transfer school's admissions office and schedule a visit.
- Request a meeting with a student and/or advisor in your major area and a campus tour. Do this as early in your academic career at NMC as possible.
- Determine deadlines for financial aid, including scholarships and transfer funding, as well as major and housing applications.
- Complete your applications for admission and financial aid.
- Send necessary documents including transcripts from NMC and all other colleges attended, high school transcripts, ACT scores and other scores as required. (Keep copies for your file.)
- Send a final copy of your transcripts from NMC to the school after completion of your courses at NMC.
- Verify that your transfer school received a complete file.