Grand Traverse Academy grad and NMC duel enrolled student Kaitlyn Watson
Spotlight: Grand Traverse Academy

Kaitlyn Watson earned 42 credits through dual enrollment at NMC.

Kingsley High School grad and NMC duel enrolled student Jacie King
Spotlight: Kingsley High School

Jacie King entered Albion College as a sophomore.

Traverse City West Senior High School grad and NMC duel enrolled student Georgia Bolek with her graduate student supervisor Tracy Mattox
Spotlight: Traverse City West High School

Georgia Bolek, left, won an internship at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab.

High School Dual Enrollment and Early College

Dual enrollment allows an eligible high school student, enrolled in a Michigan high school, to take college classes while in high school. The student can take a maximum of 10 courses during their high school career.

Here is the eligibility criteria and steps for new dual enrolled students:

  • NMC Eligibility Requirements

    • To be eligible for Dual Enrollment, students should place into college level English or college level math. Eligibility can be established through one of the following criteria:
      • Completion of three semesters of high school English and an overall GPA of 3.3 or higher gives college level English placement (ENG 111).
      • Math placement is determined by ACT, SAT or AP scores, or the NMC placement test, Accuplacer.
      • Placement tests are available for students who do not meet the GPA requirement. Placement tests are available at NMC, both on-campus and online.
    • Each student is unique. If the high school feels a student exhibits strong potential, but they do not meet the above criteria, please reach out to Admissions to explore potential options.
  • Fill out the online application form at

    • Create your application account and then select "Start an Application".
    • Be sure to select "High School - Dual Enrolled" as your student type.
    • Your academic program should be "Not pursuing a degree/certificate at NMC".
    • View a step-by-step guide to applying here.
  • Request an official transcript from your high school counselor to be sent directly to NMC

    • A transcript is official when sent directly from the high school, or through a third-party such as Parchment, to NMC.
    • The student can ask their high school counselor to email the transcript to or use
  • Submit your Enrollment Approval Form to request classes you may want to take

    • All NMC students can work with an advisor to select courses. Advisors have created course selection guides to assist you. View the course selection guides by major pathways here.
    • NMC recommends the student include back-up course options, in addition to the courses they want to take, in case their first choice(s) are full or unavailable. Search the class schedule here to see what is being offered in the current semester.
    • When the form has been submitted, it is emailed to the high school counselor and principal, who will approve (or not approve) the courses selected.
    • Once the courses have been approved, the student will receive an email from NMC telling them they can register for the class(es). Registration is done through the student's myNMC account. NMC does not register the student in their class(es).
    • If the student decides to take different courses after they have already submitted the form, they must submit a new form.
    • If the student is enrolled in a class that has not been approved by the high school, they will receive an email from NMC, and may be responsible for paying for the class. It is the student's responsibility to make sure that the class(es) they are enrolled in are approved.
    • If you have questions about filling out the form, talk to your high school counselor or contact Admissions at (231) 995-1054 or
  • Complete your online orientation

    • Students starting their first NMC semester must complete orientation before they can register for their approved classes.
    • The link to the online New Student Orientation module is included in the student's acceptance email, and the module is online here.
    • When a student takes their first online class at NMC, they are required to complete an orientation in Moodle, called Online Learning Orientation (OLO). This is separate from the Admissions New Student Orientation.
  • select and Register for classes

    • Students must register for their class(es) in their myNMC account. Registration instructions can be found here.
    • If a student needs assistance logging into their myNMC account, contact the Technology Help Desk for assistance at (231) 995-3020.
    • Classes are offered in multiple formats: in-person, online or Livestream over Zoom. Hybrid classes include a combination of any of those three formats. In Registration, the course format will display underneath the class name, you will also see a column for 'Meeting Times and Locations," that will indicate days and times a class meets in-person or on Zoom.
    • Some classes are offered as accelerated, this means the material is taught in a shorter, more condensed format. We do not recommend dual enrolled students take an accelerated course. This will be noted in the "Special Instructions" section of the searchable schedule.
    • The submitted Enrollment Approval Form does not register the student in classes.
    • Once registered in classes, you can view the textbooks required through the Bookstore's website.

Returning dual-enrolled students are reminded that a new NMC application and a new Enrollment Approval Form are required each semester. Orientation is not required as a returning student.

Helpful Links

Find information on Early College here

Contact Us

New, Lower Dual Enrollment Tuition Rate Set

The new rate of $160 per contact hour for students from outside Grand Traverse County will allow hundreds more students to access a fast track to an affordable college degree by dual-enrolling at NMC while still in high school, usually as a junior or senior. Read more here.

College Pathways

NMC has hundreds of courses to choose from classes for transfer to other colleges and universities to trades and occupational courses. Check them out here.