Frequently Asked Questions

How much money will I need for college?

You can use NMC's Net Price Calculator to make an early estimate of your total annual cost of attending Northwestern Michigan College.

When should I apply?

Generally, completed applications received prior to April 1 may be given first priority for the next academic year. The deadline for Spring and Summer Semesters is the Final Registration day of the respective semester. Applications received after the deadline will be considered only if funds are still available.

Students must apply for financial aid each academic year of their college attendance.

What makes me eligible for financial aid?

Once the eligibility requirements are met, student financial aid is awarded on the basis of financial need and/or academic merit and various qualifying criteria as outlined by each scholarship committee or guidelines. Financial aid is issued in the form of grants, scholarships, loans and work-study.

Financial aid is awarded non-discriminately without regard to age, color, disability, handicap, height, marital status, national origin, citizenship, political affiliation, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, veteran's status, or weight.

How is my financial aid determined?

Complete and accurate financial aid applications will be reviewed for funding through all Federal, State, and Institutional programs awarding gift-aid first (scholarships and grants) with self-help (loans and work-study) second. Depending on availability, every effort will be made to award sufficient funds to cover direct educational expenses (tuition, fees, books, and required supplies). Generally, gift aid will not exceed one-half of the cost of attendance.

Do I have to include parental information?

It depends on whether you qualify as an independent student. Review the following information to find out:

How is financial aid dealt with during summer semester?

Each academic year you are eligible to receive a certain amount of financial aid. This amount is determined from the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The amount of financial aid you were awarded during the Fall and Spring semesters will affect eligibility for Summer semester.

Starting in April, students who are registered for Summer semester will be reviewed regularly for additional aid eligibility.  Based on new Regulations, even students who were enrolled full time Fall and Spring semester may be eligible for an additional Pell Grant for Summer semester. 

For Federal Student loans, if you have not already used your annual eligibility in Fall and Spring semesters, your account will be reviewed to offer any additional loan eligibility you may have for Summer. 

If you have any questions regarding your Summer semester aid please contact the NMC Student Financial Services office at 231-995-1035

What if I need to drop a class or totally withdraw?

If a student withdraws (officially or unofficially) from all classes before 60% of the semester is completed, federal regulations require NMC to determine the amount of financial aid the student has earned for that semester of enrollment. A student may be eligible to retain the percentage of Title IV aid earned that is equal to the percentage of the enrollment period that was completed. These funds will be credited against charges incurred for that semester (i.e. tuition/fees, books/supplies, on-campus room and board and short-term loans). If the charges incurred for the period of that semester exceed the adjusted financial aid, the student is responsible for the balance. If the adjusted financial aid exceeds the charges incurred for that semester, the student will receive the remaining portion. The unearned Title IV aid must then be returned to the appropriate federal aid program.

Order of refund distribution:

  1. Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
  2. Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan
  3. Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)
  4. Federal Pell Grant
  5. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  6. Other Title IV aid

Student financial aid recipients may receive the portion of their financial aid based on the Federal Return to Title IV Funds Policy. Sample calculations may be obtained in the Student Financial Services office.

The student aid recipient who withdraws from all classes after the start of the semester will be placed on financial aid probation as outlined in the NMC Satisfactory Academic Progress policy. If that student is currently on financial aid probation at the time of withdrawal, he/she will be ineligible to receive further aid until Satisfactory Academic Progress can be demonstrated, pending mitigating circumstances.

The dropping of classes may result in a financial aid adjustment for the semester and could also affect the student's Satisfactory Academic Progress. A student's credit load is established at the end of the refund period for the full semester.

When are refunds distributed?

Refunds should be out by the end of September, except for loans for first-time borrowers, first-year students, which will be out by mid-October. If you haven't received your refund by the end of October, please contact the Student Financial Services office at (231) 995-1035.

Section Navigation Academic Programs
up arrowscroll bardown arrow