The Dental Assistant Program offers both a two-year Associate of Applied Science Degree and a one-year Certificate of Achievement. Completion of either program qualifies students to take the State board exam and, after passing the exam, students may practice as Registered Dental Assistants. Program completers are also eligible to take the National Certification exam which is recognized nationwide.
A dental assistant is a member of a highly-qualified health team who has varied duties and flexible hours. While most dental assistants work as chairside or business assistants, other career paths include lab technicians, insurance consulting, dental supply sales and instructors.
Career Outlook/Earnings Potential
- Employment of dental assistants is expected to grow by 25 percent from 2012 to 2022, much faster than the average for all occupations.
- Employment of dental assistants in Michigan is expected to increase much faster than the average for all occupations through the year 2018. An average of 400 openings for dental assistants is expected annually, with 220 due to growth and 180 due to replacement.
- Nationally, the median annual salary in 2014 was $35,390 for dental assistants.
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics- O-NET Online
Program Contact Information
Alison Collins, Dental Assistant Program Director — (231) 995-1250 — email@example.com
Northwestern Michigan College, 1701 East Front Street, Traverse City, MI 49686
- Associate's Degree »
- Certificate of Achievement »
Program Contact Information:
Alison Collins, Director of Dental Assistant Program
- (231) 995-1250
- Northwestern Michigan College
1701 E. Front Street
Traverse City, Ml 49686
What you'll find at NMC
- Transfer courses, two-year associate degrees and professional certificates
- Online learning options
- Access to BA and advanced degrees through NMC's University Center
- Small classes, personal attention
- Scholarship opportunities
- Reasonable tuition
- Excellent academic reputation
- Dedicated faculty & staff
- On-campus housing options
“I was very nervous going back to school and changing my career from a child care provider to a dental assistant. The instructors were wonderful in all aspects (caring, knowledgeable, helpful, organized, and patient) which made the program a truly great experience. I look forward to work every day and being a part of a team that always puts our patients first and continues to help me grow as a person and professional.”
Andrea Saunby, RDA,
Traverse City, Michigan
“I was very pleased with the Dental Assistant program at NMC. It definitely exceeded my expectations! The instructors are both wonderful and are very willing & happy to help their students succeed during the program and even after graduation. I'm very happy with my career choice and am thankful to have went through such a great program!"
Dental Assistant at Suttons Bay Dental Care,
Suttons Bay, Michigan