Board Policy A-107.00
Board of Trustees Process
Board Attendance at Civic and College Events
- It is recognized that in their role of owner-trustee, it is important for members of the NMC board of trustees to attend civic events on behalf of the College or to attend College events. The purposes of such attendance include:
- To provide visibility for the College in situations where the presence and support of the College's leadership is important.
- To demonstrate College support for civic efforts which benefit the community as a whole.
- To demonstrate board support for College activities.
- To establish important contacts with potential significant donors to the College.
- It is understood that when attendance at said events entails a fee, charge, or contribution to the sponsoring organization, the College will serve as sponsor of the board members and their spouse or guest attending. At the same time, it is important for the board to maintain the public trust in ensuring appropriate expenditure of public funds. To that end, taxpayer dollars will not be used to sponsor board attendance at such events. Furthermore, board members and their spouse or guest shall be the guests of the College at all College-sponsored events.
- Events excluded from College sponsorship include:
- The NMC barbecue,
- Those which are politically partisan in nature,
- Those which lend support to one side or the other of a controversial or divisive community issue, or
- Those which are primarily sporting events.
If any provisions(s) of this policy or set of bylaws conflicts with laws applicable to Northwestern Michigan College, including the Community College Act of 1966, the Freedom of Information Act, or the Open Meetings Act, as each may be amended from time to time, such laws shall control and supersede such provisions(s).
Adopted by the Northwestern Michigan College Board of Trustees January 22, 1996
Revised October 27, 1997
Reviewed without revision December 19, 2005