Federal and State Aid

There are many ways to support your education at Northwestern Michigan College:

Federal Grants

  • Federal Pell Grant

    • A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are awarded usually only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree. Pell Grants are considered a foundation of federal financial aid, to which aid from other federal and non-federal sources might be added. Amount of the Pell Grant final award will vary based on the student’s enrollment.
    • If you have received 600% or over 12 semesters of (full-time equivalent) Pell Grant during your educational endeavors, you will no longer be eligible for these funds. To determine the amount of lifetime Pell you have received, visit studentaid.gov.
  • Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

    • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs) are for undergraduates with exceptional financial need. Pell Grant recipients with the lowest EFCs will receive this award first. Just like Pell Grants, FSEOGs don't have to be paid back. NMC awards FSEOGs on a first come first serve basis until funds are exhausted. The amount of the award varies.

Sign up for a FAFSA Completion Appointment

Schedule an appointment for 1-1 assistance filling out the FAFSA.

State Aid

Visit Financial Aid Programs Administered by the State of Michigan for more information about Michigan financial aid.

  • Michigan Achievement Scholarship

    • Students who graduate from high school in Michigan with a diploma or certificate of completion or achieved a high school equivalency certificate in 2023 or after will be eligible for more financial aid from the State of Michigan.
  • Michigan Reconnect

    • Michigan Reconnect provides free in-district tuition at a Michigan community college to earn an associate degree or Pell-eligible skill certificate.
  • Michigan Tuition Incentive Program (TIP)

    • This high school completion program offers to pay for the first two years of college and beyond for identified students who graduate from high school or complete their GED before age 20.
  • Michigan Competitive Scholarship

    • This award is based on both financial need and merit. Students may use Competitive Scholarship funds at degree-granting Michigan public and independent post-secondary institutions. Awards are restricted to the cost of tuition and fees.
  • Fostering Futures Scholarship

    • This award is provides scholarships to students who have experienced foster care in Michigan on or after the age 13. Awards are restricted to the cost of tuition and fees, books and supplies, and room and board. Award pays a maximum of $3,000 per academic year.
  • Michigan GEAR UP Scholarship

    • This award is based on financial need. Michigan GEAR UP targets low-income students by providing them with support services to increase their opportunity to succeed in postsecondary education.
  • Michigan Children of Veterans Tuition Grant

    • This award provides undergraduate tuition assistance to certain children of qualified veterans who meet Michigan residency requirement. The renewable award pays a maximum of $2,800 per academic year.
  • Michigan Police Officer’s And Fire Fighter’s Survivor Tuition Grant

    • Public Act 195 provides for the waiver of tuition at public community colleges and state universities for the surviving spouse and children of Michigan police officers and fire fighters killed in the line of duty.
  • Michigan Native American Tuition Waiver

    • May cover tuition for certified North American Indians (1/4 blood) who enroll in a public college or university and are a Michigan resident. Contact your tribal association for additional information.

Veteran's Educational Benefits

  • NMC is approved to administer the Veteran’s Educational Assistance Programs that include the Montgomery GI Bill ® and the 9/11 GI Bill ®.
  • There are currently six active categories of benefit programs under which veterans and eligible dependents can receive financial assistance. NMC's VA representative, located in the Records & Registration Office of the Tanis Building (#5 on the Front Street Campus map), has all the necessary forms for application of benefits. As there are many facets of the program, it is highly recommended that you make an appointment to see the VA representative.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Types of financial aid

How to apply for aid

Use our handy checklist