Staff Policy D-111.01
Institutional Effectiveness Criterion: Scholarship
Faculty-Staff Advisors for Student Organizations
All officially recognized student clubs/organizations will have an appointed faculty/staff advisor:
- All advisors will attend an advisor update and orientation in September of each year that is planned and implemented by the Associate Dean of Student Life.
- The recommendations for an advisor will be submitted to the Vice President for Educational Services or his/her designee who will be responsible for the approval of the appointment.
- Recommendations may come from the faculty or staff councils, a student group, or the prospective advisor may volunteer his/her services.
- Advisors will be appointed on an annual basis and continue in that appointment based on satisfactory performance. The continuation of appointments will be at the discretion of the Vice President for Educational Services or his/her designee.
- An advisor will exhibit the highest ethical and professional standards possible to those students whom he/she advises.
The Vice President for Educational Services, in conjunction with the appropriate faculty and staff, is responsible for the development and publication of any procedures or guidelines that may be necessary to administer this policy effectively.
If any provisions(s) of this policy or set of bylaws conflicts with laws applicable to Northwestern Michigan College, including the Community College Act of 1966, the Freedom of Information Act, or the Open Meetings Act, as each may be amended from time to time, such laws shall control and supersede such provisions(s).
Initially adopted as D-310.01 August 28, 1998
Revised November 12, 2004
Renumbered D-111.01 December 20, 2006
Revised December 18, 2009
Revised January 7, 2015