Staff Policy D-504.02
Institutional Effectiveness Criterion: Operations
- The objectives of Northwestern Michigan College's purchasing policy and procedures shall be:
- To achieve the best value in purchases by balancing factors of price, quality, quantity, compatibility, standardization, and delivery.
- To serve the needs of Northwestern Michigan College for supplies, equipment, material, services, and related needs in a manner consistent with the requirements of prudent judgment and sound financial trusteeship.
- To foster a reputation of honesty, reliability, consistency, and fairness in the conduct of all purchasing activities and relationships with everyone.
- To afford opportunities for responsible and able vendors to bid or submit price quotations appropriate to the types of items or services being purchased.
- To achieve efficient and effective management of College purchases.
- The Vice President of Finance and Administration shall develop and publish specific purchasing procedures within the following limitations: (procedures are located on the S drive at S:\Business\Public\Purchasing Related\Purchasing Procedures 22007.doc)
- Expenditures shall be made within the budgeted funds annually adopted by the board.
- Expenditures of single line items of $25,000 or more will require three written quotations or sealed bids when three qualified vendors exist, and the approval of the president and the board of trustees prior to purchase. For such expenditures of $25,000 or more, the president (or the president's designee) shall determine if the interests of the College would be promoted by the solicitation of bids or proposals through public notice.
- When the factors of price, quality, compatibility, quantity, established history of quality service, and timing are essentially equal, vendors from NMC's service area will be given preference.
- All purchasing procedures shall comply with applicable legal requirements.
If any provisions(s) of this policy or set of bylaws conflicts with laws applicable to Northwestern Michigan College, including the Community College Act of 1966, the Freedom of Information Act, or the Open Meetings Act, as each may be amended from time to time, such laws shall control and supersede such provisions(s).
Initially adopted as D-1112.01 December 12, 1996
Revised and renumbered D-504.02 December 20, 2006
Revised February 20, 2007