Staff Policy D-506.03
Institutional Effectiveness Criterion: Operations
It is the policy of Northwestern Michigan College to maintain normal College operations on all regularly scheduled days, except in very rare cases when severe weather conditions prevent this. It is further the policy of NMC to expect that each staff member and student will make his or her own determination concerning attendance on unfavorable travel days, based on personal judgments and the conditions of each unique situation.
- Given unfavorable weather conditions, the College may take one of the following actions:
- remain open;
- delay the opening of College and require only personnel providing essential services to report to work prior to opening;
- close the College and require only personnel providing essential services to report to work.
- Factors which will be considered by the NMC administration in making this determination will include the following:
- whether parking lots can be kept plowed for access;
- whether law enforcement officials are requesting that travel be limited;
- whether area businesses are closing;
- current weather conditions and forecasts for the area.
- When weather conditions appear hazardous, the following actions will be taken:
- For daytime schedules, a decision to delay the opening of the College or close entirely will be communicated before 5:30 a.m.
- For evening schedules (classes starting at 5:00 p.m. or later), delays or closings will be announced by 3:00 p.m. There is a possibility that NMC would cancel all day classes and hold evening classes.
- Each area is responsible for the development of a notification system for its faculty and staff.
- Up-to-date information regarding class cancellations and College closures will be communicated on the college website, and on the 24-hour telephone line at 995-1100.
- College delays or closures will be reported to area radio and television stations (a list of stations is available in the Public Relations and Marketing office), campus video monitors, NMC’s general information number, and the NMC website. In addition, an “everyone” message will be sent to NMC faculty and staff e-mail accounts, and to all student NMC e-mail accounts. Employees and students also can opt in through NMC Self Service to receive text messages when the College is closed or has delayed opening.
- For weekend academic courses the College closure/delay decision would first be enforced. If on the other hand, a faculty member determined he/she cannot make it to campus for their particular class, the faculty member teaching the weekend course, would update his/her voicemail greeting with the class cancellation information. Weekend students would then call their instructor’s voicemail rather than the 24-hour telephone line.
- Instructor absences will be reported weekdays via the 24-hour telephone line, campus video monitors and NMC’s website.
- If faculty members believe they can safely arrive to campus, they are expected to hold class.
- Individual academic areas and faculty members establish their own attendance policies. However, in instances where travel is perilous and a student has communicated this to the instructor, the instructor is expected to demonstrate caring to a reasonable extent and assist the student in obtaining the materials and making up the activities which were missed.
- Any student who feels he or she has been unfairly treated due to a weather-related absence should pursue his or her complaint through the normal channels, speaking first with the instructor and then the following (in order) if the situation is not resolved satisfactorily: the academic leader, Dean for Enrollment Management and Student Services, and the Vice President for Educational Services.
- If the College delays opening or is closed, regular employees scheduled to work that day will not suffer a loss of pay, within the limits of a normal staff workday. If the College is open but a staff member is unable to report to work due to local weather conditions, he or she will arrange with the supervisor to make up the lost time or use vacation time within the appropriate pay periods.
Questions concerning these procedures may be directed to the office of the Vice President for Educational Services.
Definition of Terms
Inclement weather: The condition in this region which typically means excessive snow and/or ice which makes driving less safe. It could also refer to other hazardous conditions, such as tornado or severe thunderstorm forecasts.
The College has delayed opening: Only personnel providing essential services before the specified opening time will be asked to report to campus or may be called in. Staff should report to work one-half hour before the designated opening time. Students should report to class at the designated opening time. If a student’s class begins before the designated opening time that class would be canceled unless one-hour of instruction remains after the designated opening time.
The College is closed: Only personnel providing essential services that day will be asked to report to campus or may be called in.
The College is open: Decisions to attend school are the responsibility of each individual student and staff member. Students are advised to inform their instructors of a decision to miss class by telephoning their instructor.
The Vice President for Educational Services, in conjunction with the appropriate faculty and staff, will be responsible for the development and publication of any procedures or guidelines that may be necessary to administer this policy effectively.
Initially adopted as D-1120.01 December 12, 1996
Revised December 3, 1999
Revised November 2003
Revised and renumbered D-506.03 December 20, 2006
Revised January 18, 2008
Revised March 18, 2013