Staff Policy D-603.02
Institutional Effectiveness Criterion: Champion
In-State Tuition for Military Personnel and Dependents
- Northwestern Michigan College will adhere to the following policy for the purposes of establishing residency requirements in Michigan for certain active duty members of the armed forces of the United States, or these members’ spouses and dependent children:
- An active duty member, spouse, or dependent child of such an active duty member, shall be considered a Michigan resident for tuition purposes if Michigan is that active duty member’s legal state of residence;
- An active duty member, spouse, or dependent child of an active duty member, shall be considered a Michigan resident for tuition purposes while that active duty member is stationed in Michigan;
- Once an active duty member, spouse, or dependent child of an active duty member has been determined to be a Michigan resident for tuition purposes, he or she shall retain that status as long as they are continuously enrolled in a degree program at a state institution.
- NMC will continue to maintain its own residency, tuition, and admissions policies.
- NMC retains the right to require any documentation they consider necessary to verify the student qualifies as active duty military personnel, or as the spouse or dependent thereof.
- NMC will work to identify and eliminate the obstacles that students from military families face.
The VP for Enrollment Management and Student Services, in conjunction with the appropriate faculty and staff, is responsible for the development and publication of any procedures or guidelines that may be necessary to administer this policy effectively.
Adopted May 2008
Revised June 20, 2013