Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA)
In an effort to improve the transferability of college courses between Michigan public community colleges and universities, the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) will take effect beginning the fall of 2014. Students who began prior to fall of 2014 will be able to complete the existing MACRAO agreement until the end of summer 2019 as long as they are a continuous student (take at least one course each year). If a student already has the MACRAO agreement stamp on their transcript, it is expected that the receiving institution will still honor it. Students may be able to receive both the MACRAO and the MTA through summer 2019.
To fulfill the MTA, students must successfully complete at least 30 Group 1 semester credit hours. Students must earn at least a grade of 2.0 in each MTA course in order for it to count towards the minimum MTA requirements. Credits should be distributed as follows:
- English Composition: Two courses - 6 credits
- Humanities: Two Group 1 courses - 6 credits taken from two different departments excluding studio and performance classes
- Mathematics: One Group 1 course – 3 credits – MTH 120 or higher
- Natural Sciences: Two Group 1 courses - 6 credits from two different departments with one course that includes a lecture/laboratory
- Social Sciences: Two Group 1 courses - 6 credits from two different departments
Students are required to complete at least one for-credit course at NMC before requesting the MTA Satisfied endorsement. It must be a college-level course but need not be from the areas represented in the MTA. When students have completed the MTA requirements, they should notify the NMC Records Office so their transcripts will be noted “MTA SATISFIED.” Students are not required to complete an associate's degree in order to satisfy the MTA. Some students select a course of study that requires a four-year degree of which two years may be completed at NMC through completion of the Associate in Science and Arts (ASA) degree. Students completing the ASA will also complete the MTA.