Tuition Assistance Information

Educating Those Who Serve

Northwestern Michigan College (NMC) is dedicated to providing military personnel with a flexible world-class education. Given our commitment to education and to those who serve, we believe our service members, in particular, should have the opportunity to advance their educational goals without the financial burden. Check out the Federal Tuition Assistance 'walk-through' for your respective branch below and contact your education service officer to ensure the process goes smoothly.

U.S. Air Force

You must apply for TA online using the Air Force Virtual Education Center. This must be done through the Air Force Portal at

AF policy requires you to create a goal and upload a degree plan via the AFVEC website prior to requesting MilTA (use Tutorials on AFVEC site). A generic degree/academic plan can be used for up to 6 semester hours until you have an evaluated degree plan.

  1. You must request MilTA before class starts, maximum of 45 days prior to and minimum 7 days prior to class start date.
  2. Your supervisor must electronically approve all MilTA requests (allow time for this).
  3. If you withdraw from a course you must notify the school AND the Education Center immediately.
  4. If you fail a course, you must reimburse the full amount of tuition paid.
  5. If military duties prevent you from attending class you can apply for a waiver of reimbursement.
  6. You must submit a letter explaining the reasons for withdrawing from the course(s) signed by your Squadron Commander.
  7. You are responsible for ensuring that your education record reflects your official grade within 30 days after the class ends.
  8. You are allowed 15 Semester Hours (5 classes) to establish a GPA; you must maintain 2.0 for undergraduate degrees, 3.0 for graduate degrees, to continue using TA.
  9. TA is not authorized for courses leading to a lateral or lower level degree than you already possess (i.e. Second Associate's or Bachelor's degree).

CCAF Exception

  • MilTA will not be given for courses leading to the same or lower degree level than one you may have had before entering the Air Force
  • Airmen who have a CCAF degree are not eligible to use MilTA for an associate’s degree but may pursue a subsequent CCAF degree.
  • Officers who have completed an AF-sponsored master’s degree cannot use MilTA.
  • You are no longer required to obtain your supervisor's signature on your MilTA form; however, you are expected to discuss your schedule with your supervisor to ensure that participation has his/her support.

U.S. Army/Army National Guard

  1. What Is It?

    • FTA is financial assistance provided for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a Soldier’s professional and personal self-development goals (Reference: AR 621-5, RAR, 28 October 2019, Army Continuing Education System)
  2. How Do I Qualify?

    • Tier 1:
      • Be currently serving in the ARNG and completed either Advanced Individual Training (AIT), Warrant Officer Basic Course (WOBC), or Basic Officer Leaders Course (BOLC)
      • Have not attained a bachelor's degree and wish to pursue an undergraduate academic certificate, associate’s or bachelor's degree or
      • Have attained a bachelor’s degree and wish to pursue a graduate or undergraduate academic certificate or
      • Have attained a bachelor's degree w/out FTA and wish to pursue a master’s degree
    • Tier 2:
      • Be currently serving in the ARNG and completed either Advanced Leader’s Course (ALC), Warrant Officer Advanced Course (WOAC), Captain’s Career Course (CCC), or equivalent
      • Have attained a bachelor's degree w/ FTA and wish to pursue a master’s degree
    • Service Requirement/Obligation:
      • Enlisted: Have an ETS or MRD after completion of FTA funded course(s)
      • Active Duty Officers: Two-year ADSO (starts after last day of course)
      • Reserve Officers: Four-year RDSO (starts after last day of course)
    • Additional Criteria:
      • The college is regionally or nationally accredited AND is a participant in GoArmyEd (GAE)
      • The funded course(s) meets a requirement listed in your personalized degree plan provided by the school (this can include prerequisite courses)
      • You maintain an undergraduate GPA of 0 or a graduate GPA of 3.0 for FTA-funded courses.
      • You must submit your FTA request at least 5 business days prior to course start date to qualify for an ETP
  3. What Do I Get?

    • FTA will pay up to $250 per semester hour and up to 16 SHs per fiscal year
    • Lifetime limit of 130 undergraduate semester hours, and 39 graduate semester hours
    • Up to 21 additional semester hours for a certificate (undergraduate or graduate level)
    • FTA will pay toward one credential at each of the following levels
      • Associate Degree, Bachelor Degree, Master Degree, Undergraduate/Graduate Certificate
      • First Professional degrees are NOT eligible (i.e. doctorate degrees, Juris doctorates)
  4. Programs NOT Approved For FTA

    • Courses leading to a credential that are lower or lateral to the highest credential you have already earned
      • Example: if you have a bachelor’s degree (even if you came in the ARNG with one), you cannot use FTA to pursue a second bachelor’s or associate’s degree, but you can pursue an undergraduate certificate
    • Any program that bundles tuition and fees together into a lump sum charge
    • Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or courses that do not meet degree requirement
  5. How Do I Apply?

    • Go to and select "Get Started" to establish a Federal Tuition Assistance account.
    • Tips to remember when applying:
      • Apply for FTA up to 60 days prior to the class start date, but no later than 5 business days prior to the class start date (all FTA MUST be approved prior to the class start date)
      • You must submit an FTA request for each individual course that you want FTA to fund

For More Information:

U.S. Coast Guard

The Coast Guard tuition assistance program is designed to assist Coast Guard personnel in broadening academic or technical backgrounds by providing funding for off-duty independent education. Specific policy and guidelines are outlined in ACN 112/20 - SEP 2020 FY21 COAST GUARD TUITION ASSISTANCE (TA) POLICY.

General TA Procedures​

  1. Member establish a plan for completion of a degree or certificate program with their ESO's. Use of ETQC-4147 is mandatory to determine a service MBR's eligibility for the use of TA. The use of this form determines a MBR's eligibility AND command approval for the use of TA IAW the current TA ALCOAST.
  2. Members Submit a TA application in MyCG Ed up to 90 days prior to the course start date. All TA applications must be command approved by the ESO 14 days prior to the course start date, MBR's can use the user manual in MyCG Ed for assistance on entering the TA Application. As a reminder, use all available pick lists in MyCG Ed when applying for TA to avoid errors. Reserve members affiliated with the Selected Reserve (SELRES) must up load a current point statement in MyCG Ed for ETQC to verify satisfactory progress in the current anniversary year and to have met the participation standards for the previous anniversary year.
  3. Supervisors/Department Heads shall forward the electronic recommendation form to the XO for final approval.
  4. Supervisors/Department Heads shall validate that a member meets the following criteria:
    1. Satisfactory progress toward completion of unit qualifications.
    2. Satisfactory progress toward watch station qualifications.
    3. Satisfactory proficiency of craft.
    4. Satisfactory conduct during the previous six (6) months prior to TA application.
    5. Review & verify accuracy of JST Transcript & submit to school for evaluation
    6. Complete & email JST Correction form for transcript (if applicable)
    7. Uploaded degree plan in MyCG Ed under the “My Education Plan” tab
  5. The CO/XO or designated Authority will then forward electronically to the designated ESO, COPYING member.
  6. Member then enters course information in MyCG Ed. ​
    • $250 per semester hour
    • $166.67 per quarter hour
    • $2,250 per fiscal year
  • If you get a grade lower than a C for undergraduate courses or B for graduate courses you will have to pay back any TA money received for those courses.
  • Fees or expenses not listed as tuition is not authorized.
  • You can submit TA Applications up to 90 days from the class start date, NLT than 14 days prior to the course start date.

U.S. Marine Corps

Marines must apply for Marine Corps Tuition Assistance (TA) through WebTA (login required).

Only courses with the same start and end dates can be on the same application. Courses with different start/end dates require multiple applications to be submitted.

What are the procedures to use TA?

  1. Contact your Marine Corps Voluntary Education Center to receive educational counseling either in person or by phone. With your academic advisor, determine which courses will be requested for TA funding.
  2. To apply for Tuition Assistance electronically from any computer, complete a TA Application in WebTA listing course(s). Check with your institution to make sure the tuition amounts you listed are correct. Fees cannot be paid using TA funds.
  3. Start your application 60 days in advance of the term start date. You can submit your TA even before finishing your enrollment in the course at your school.

Every TA application MUST be Command Approved prior to being forwarded to the Voluntary Education Center for final approval.

What are the requirements for Command Approval?

Answers to each of these questions must be YES:

  1. Will the Marine serve on active duty through the last day of the course?
  2. Has the Marine passed the most recent Physical Fitness Assessment (PFA) or received a waiver.
  3. If applicable, has the Marine been recommended for promotion?
  4. Has the Marine completed the MCI Personal Financial Management Course (Course ID 3420G)?
  5. If the Marine is enlisted, does the Marine have an EAS date at least 60 days beyond the completion date of the requested class?
  6. If the Marine is a Reserve component officer on active duty orders, does the Marine have an EAS date at least two years beyond the completion date of the requested class?

Answers to these must be NO:

  1. Has the Marine received a NJP within 6 months?
  2. Is the Marine pending administrative separation?
  3. Is the Marine assigned to MOS school or residential or non-residential PME (e.g., Staff College, Corporal’s Course, Sergeants Course, or Career Course)?

If I meet the requirements does that mean my application is approved?

Command approval is not automatic. Please contact your command approver for status prior to the start of the class. The application must be approved prior to the start date of the class.

Following command approval, you will receive an email notification that your application has been sent to a Marine Corps Voluntary Education Center for final review and authorization.

Once the TA application is funded, the Marine will receive an email notification. As a reminder, TA applications MUST be authorized (funded) prior to the term start date.

The Marine MUST print their voucher and turn the voucher into the school accounting office to process the payment.

Still searching for more in-depth assistance with Tuition Assistance? Check out other Marine Corps articles about TA or contact your installation’s Voluntary Education staff.

U.S. Navy

The Navy Tuition Assistance program (TA) pays up to 100% of tuition and required fees for taking college courses while on active duty.

Navy Tuition Assistance Eligibility

TA is available to both Navy officer and enlisted active duty and reservists on continuous active duty. It's also available to enlisted reservists ordered to active duty 120 days and to reserve officers ordered to active duty for 2 years or more. To qualify, you must:

  • have at least two years time-in-service before applying for benefits
  • be on active duty for the whole length of the course.
  • attend an accredited school.
  • get counseling from a Navy College Office or Virtual Education Center Counselor
  • provide all grades from previously funded TA courses and reimburse all W and F grades. (Withdrawals for involuntary reasons may be granted with command verification.)
  • If an officer, agree to remain on active duty for at least two years upon completion of courses funded by TA. This obligation runs concurrently with remaining obligated service time. Those who fail to serve the obligation must repay the TA funds expended on their behalf during the last two years of active duty on a pro rated basis.


Effective Oct. 1, 2019 all sailors are limited to 12 semester hours (or their quarter hour equivalent) TA per fiscal year. They are also limited to 120 semester hours for their entire career.

You can be reimbursed up to 100% of the cost of the course, not to exceed:

  • $250.00 per semester hour
  • $166.67 per quarter hour
  • $3,000 per fiscal year

You must pay any back any TA you receive for:

  • undergraduate classes you get a D or lower in
  • graduate classes you get a C or lower in
  • any classes you get any non-passing or incomplete grade in

Application Process

  • Contact your Navy College Office or the Virtual Education Center to get educational counseling either in person, virtually, by phone or email. With your academic advisor, determine which courses will be requested for TA funding.
  • Complete a TA Application in WebTA listing course(s). Check with your institution to make sure the amounts for tuition you listed are correct. Fees may not be paid using TA funds.
  • Start your application 30 days in advance of the term start date.
  • To apply for Tuition Assistance electronically from any computer, go to, and select the Secure Tuition Assistance & Other Funding link.
  • You may log-in via CAC or DEERS.
  • Every TA application MUST be Command Approved prior to being forwarded to the VEC.

Requirements for Command Approval

  1. Must have served one-year on-board in their FIRST permanent duty station (this requirement may be waived by CO)
  2. Will serve on active duty through the last day of the course.
  3. Pass the most recent Physical Fitness Assessment or received a waiver.
  4. Took their most recent advancement exam, if applicable, and be recommended for advancement or promotion.
  5. Have not received a NJP within 6 months or not pending administrative separation.
  6. Not under instruction in initial skills training or in a duty under instruction training status.

For further program details and Navy Tuition Assistance program updates, visit the Official Navy College website.

State Tuition Assistance Program (STAP)

This program provides tuition assistance to members of the Michigan National Guard who are attending any public or private college, university, vocational school, technical school or trade school located in Michigan:

  • Up to $600 per credit hour
  • Up to $6,000 per year (tuition and fees combined)

For More Information:

Tuition Assistance Walk-Throughs

Billing Questions

Please direct all Tuition Assistance billing questions to:

Laurel Forton
Lead Accounting Assistant
Phone: (231) 995-1584