Commitment Scholarship Program
Since 1993, NMC has promised a college education to selected northern Michigan ninth graders who show academic promise and have financial need. Like all commitments, the program works two ways:
NMC, with area high schools, commits to:
- A continuous academic advisory program
- On-campus and off-campus enrichment activities, including a weekend summer adventure, overnight stay at NMC, trips and cultural activities
- A tuition scholarship to NMC, for 60 credits within three years
The student, in partnership with his or her parents, commits to:
- Regular participation in the program activities
- Demonstration of good citizenship
- Completion of high school course requirements and graduation with a minimum of a 2.33 grade point average
- Submission of The Commitment Scholarship Agreement Contract
A history of success
- Almost 1,500 students from Antrim, Benzie, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska, Leelanau and other counties have taken part.
- 91 percent have successfully completed the program requirements.
- 80 percent of those who have completed overall, and 86 percent of those who have completed in the last two years, have gone on to attend college.
- In 2013, NMC increased the number of students inducted into the scholarship program each year from 40 to 100. The first cohort of 100 will graduate in 2017.
- Commitment scholars have held leadership positions in the prestigious Phi Theta Kappa honor society.
- Commitment scholars have successfully continued their education at many universities, including Central Michigan, Davenport, Ferris State, Grand Valley State, Michigan State, Michigan Tech, and the University of Michigan.
Help fund the commitment program
The NMC Commitment Scholarship Program is made possible by individual donors through the NMC Foundation, which provides an endowment for the tuition scholarships.
Many committed individuals have believed in the power of this program and made it the focus of their support for NMC.
"You don't just give us the scholarship in the 8th grade and say good luck! You're with us every step of the way. You don't just help us set goals, you help us reach goals by keeping us focused on college. And here I am at NMC!"
Elk Rapids High School