Board Policy A-103.00
Board of Trustees Process
The board chair may appoint any member, or up to three members, of the board of trustees to fulfill various responsibilities, including, but not limited to the following:
- Meet with the president prior to each regular board of trustees meeting to finalize and/or review the meeting agenda for that month.
- Meet monthly with the president and chief financial officer to review monthly financial reports, audit reports, and proposed board action items that have a fiscal impact.
- Represent the board of trustees at appropriate local, state and national functions as needed.
- Represent the board as members of the NMC foundation board.
- Encourage the continuing education of board members with particular emphasis on orientation of newly elected members.
- Coordinate an annual evaluation of board performance.
- Coordinate the annual performance evaluation of the president and develop recommendation regarding annual compensation.
- Represent the board of trustees in the provision of advice to the president between regular meetings in matters dealing with board policy and/or critical issues.
- Annually review nominees submitted for Fellows appointment and recommend to the board acceptance of one or more persons to be recognized or, in any given year, to make no recommendation.
- In concert with the administration, maintain an awareness of issues being discussed in Lansing and/or Washington that have the potential for impact upon NMC, and develop and maintain a working relationship with appropriate legislators and staff who will be critical in decision-making roles pertaining to NMC’s future.
Adopted by the Northwestern Michigan College Board of Trustees October 23, 1995
Revised April 28, 1997
Revised December 19, 2005