Staff Policy D-102.00
Institutional Effectiveness Criterion: Scholarship
Assessment of Student Learning
- Assessment offers Northwestern Michigan College the opportunity to improve the teaching and learning process for its students. NMC will use assessment in all areas of instruction to promote quality learning.
- By committing to an assessment policy, the faculty of Northwestern Michigan College seek to foster a culture of continuous improvement. To this end, the faculty will strive to do the following:
- Identify the desired learning outcomes of instructional units—courses, programs, general education components, and degree requirements.
- Use appropriate assessment measures to determine the effectiveness of teaching strategies and whether the learning outcomes are being achieved.
- Analyze the results of the assessment measures.
- Use the results of the assessment process to improve instruction.
- Faculty members are empowered to exercise innovative and creative leadership and their best professional judgment in pursuit of continuous improvement of learning at NMC, so long as they demonstrate responsible management of resources, prudent judgment, ethical and lawful behavior, and reasonable interpretation of board and staff policies and procedures.
The Vice President for Educational Services, in conjunction with the appropriate faculty and staff, is responsible for the development and publication of any procedures or guidelines that may be necessary to administer this policy effectively.
Initially adopted as D-314.00 April 27, 1999
Reviewed without revision June 15, 2004
Renumbered D-102.00 December 20, 2006
Reviewed without revision May 8, 2009
Reviewed without revision April 4, 2014