Over 90% of NMC graduates and transfer students consistently report accomplishing their educational goal and say NMC is a good value for the money.
"Given their popularity among today's college students, America's future economic success may well depend on how we invest in two-year institutions."
CENTER FOR AMERICAN PROGRESS REPORT
Facts & Statistics
Founded in 1951, Northwestern Michigan College is a fully accredited community college offering 77 transfer, career degree and certificate programs. NMC has over 640 employees all working to help learners succeed.
- NMC awarded over 900 degrees or certificates in the 2012-2013 academic year.
- In 2012-2013, 82% of NMC’s graduates employed in their field of study live and work in Northwestern Michigan.
- 95% of graduates employed in their field of study stay in Michigan.
- In the 10 years from 2003 to 2013, NMC's enrollment grew by 11%.
- In 2013-2014, over 6,100 students enrolled in credit classes.
- 4,727 students enrolled for Fall semester 2013.
- More than 70% of students applying to NMC intend to earn a degree.
Student Profile in Fall 2013
- In 2013-2014, over $21 million in total aid was awarded to almost 3,200 learners, for an average amount of aid per student of almost $7,000.
- In 2013-2014, almost $1.3 million was awarded in scholarships to nearly 1,000 learners.
Northwestern Michigan College ranks below the state median ($96.00) of tuition per contact hour:
- $86.30 per contact hour for students living in Grand Traverse County
- $170.90 per contact hour for students living in Michigan but outside Grand Traverse County
- $218.85 per contact hour for students living out of state and international students
Local Strategic Value
- Provide customized on-site training for area companies, employees, or both through the programs of NMC’s Training Services.
- Promote continued pursuit of higher education through the Commitment Scholarship directed at first generation students identified in the 8th grade.
- NMC’s collaboration with Michigan Works! offers activities to promote successful transitions to college for new and returning adult learners.
- At NMC’s University Center, the community has access to education opportunities beyond the Associate level in undergraduate and graduate level degree programs offered by nine university partners.
- Continuing education programming for leisure, wellness, personal enrichment, or professional development through NMC Extended Educational Services.
- Promote cultural, educational, or personal enrichment for community members through access to WNMC 90.7 FM, NMC’s public radio station; community observation nights for the Rogers Astronomical Observatory and the Dennos Museum Center.