Campuses & Facilities
NMC has several campuses in and near Traverse City, Michigan:
- Main campus »
- Aero Park Campus »
- Great Lakes Campus »
- University Center Campus »
- Rogers Observatory »
Main entrance: Front Street (U.S. 31) at College Drive, Traverse City, Michigan
Mailing address: 1701 East Front Street, Traverse City, MI 49686
NMC has three apartment buildings providing one and two bedroom apartments for married couples and single parents.
This major museum facility, named for donors Michael and Barbara Dennos, includes three galleries for changing exhibitions, an interactive gallery for children and a gallery for NMC’s collection of Inuit art. It also features a classroom-size theater and sculpture court gallery. The 367-seat William and Helen Milliken Auditorium has an open stage and offers performance space for NMC music, drama and dance departments as well as community and visiting groups.
1770 College Drive
(#10 on map)
This residence hall has rooms for about 200 students and offices for the housing staff. It was remodeled in 2002.
The offices of Institutional Advancement and the NMC Foundation and two conference rooms are located here.
This 54,700-square-foot building features state-of-the-art teaching laboratories for science courses such as chemistry, biology, physics, and geology; and for health courses such as dental and nursing. There are also six general-purpose classrooms and many “interactive spaces” for students in study rooms and hallways. The spacious lobby hosts occasional campus events and the building is connected to the Biederman Building at its southwest corner. It was built in 2001.
James Beckett Building (JB)
1890 College Drive
(#13 on map)
The building was named for James J. Beckett, Chair Emeritus of the NMC Board of Trustees and longtime volunteer on behalf of the College. The building has six general-purpose classrooms, two multimedia classrooms, one computer lab and one distance learning classroom. It also has faculty offices, a conference room and several study areas.
The building contains general-purpose classrooms, student interaction areas, one computer lab, Student Health Services, the office of Public Relations & Marketing, and faculty offices for Health Occupations, Science and Math. It is named for NMC founder Les Biederman, chair of the first Board of Trustees.
Maintenance Building / Facilities Building
1861 College Drive
(#16 on map)
The building houses facilities and maintenance operations, Campus Safety, and NMC Shipping and Receiving.
Okerstrom Fine Arts Building (F)
1870 College Drive
(#11 on map)
The building has studios, classrooms and a Macintosh computer lab for art and music, as well as an 84-seat recital hall. In 2000, the building was named in honor of Shirley S. Okerstrom, former member and chair of the NMC Board of Trustees and a supporter of the arts.
Oleson Center for Continuing Education (OC)
1881 College Drive
(#15 on map)
This conference center, remodeled in 2006, features three meeting rooms which can be used separately or as one large room, a teaching kitchen and a multi-purpose room. The Oleson Center was named in honor of the Gerald and Frances Oleson family which has provided long-term support of the college through the annual Barbecue and other donations.
The Osterlin Building was named after Dr. Mark Osterlin and Mrs. Helen Osterlin. It houses the Osterlin Library, Advising Center, Student Success Center, Educational Media Technologies, Career and Employment Services, classrooms and computers.
1580 College Drive
(#4 on map)
This small brick building houses the power plant for the college.
Rajkovich Physical Education Center (P)
1860 College Drive
(#12 on map)
The building has a gymnasium, fitness center, dance studio and classrooms. In 1969, it was named after Nick Rajkovich, a former faculty member who developed the NMC physical education program. In 2000, Frances Rajkovich’s name was added to the building in recognition of her generous support of NMC.
This building contains general-purpose classrooms, the photography laboratory, the Writing & Reading Center, faculty offices for Communications and Social Sciences and many student study areas.
The building was named for Preston N. Tanis, the first president of NMC who directed the college from 1951-1970 and wrote its first history. In this building are the offices of the president, educational services, admissions, financial aid, registration and records, computer services and the Welcome Center.
Remodeled in 2002, West Hall houses the college’s food service, student and staff dining rooms, the campus bookstore as well as offices for the college radio station, newspaper, magazine, personal counseling, student government and honors program.
Wise Memorial Clock Tower
Located south of East Hall on the main campus, the clock tower was named for benefactors Harold and Imogene Wise and was erected with private donations from NMC founder Les Biederman, the Wise family, and NMC faculty and staff.
Great Lakes Campus
715 E. Front St. at Barlow Avenue, Traverse City
This facility on the West Bay waterfront houses the Great Lakes Maritime Academy, Great Lakes Culinary Institute and Lobdell's: A Teaching Restaurant, the Great Lakes Water Studies Institute and the Hagerty Conference Center. The two buildings are connected by a glass exhibition hall to preserve views of the bay. The harbor is being redeveloped to improve its function and accessibility.
The Hagerty Center is a full-service banquet and conference facility located at the Great Lakes Campus, providing state-of-the-art technology and a professional staff. For more information, contact a Hagerty Center representative at (231) 995-3100.
Aero Park Campus
2600 Aero Park Drive, Airport Industrial Park, Traverse City
Aero Park Laboratories2525 Aero Park Drive
Automotive Service Technology Building2510 Aero Park Drive
This facility contains the Automotive Service Technology Program.
Aviation Hangars2550 Aero Park Drive
This building contains the hangar and flight simulator for the NMC Aviation Program. Aviation Program offices are located in the Parsons-Stulen building (formerly "M-TEC").
Parsons-Stulen Building (formerly "M-TEC")2600 Aero Park Drive
This facility provides and supports training in the areas of manufacturing, construction, aviation and information technology. It also is home to NMC's Bridge Program, Training & Research Services, Aero Park Professional Testing Center and Energy Demonstration Center. Named after John T. Parsons and Frank L. Stulen, local innovators who created “numerical control,” the Parsons-Stulen Building contains a flexible learning environment, including a “high bay” area for construction and manufacturing, plus computer labs, an interactive television classroom, conference room, and faculty and staff offices.
University Center Campus
2200 Dendrinos Drive, off Cass Road between 14th Street and South Airport Road, Traverse City
This 30-acre parcel was purchased in 1989 and was formerly owned by Sara Lee Corporation.
This building is named after generous NMC benefactors, Arthur M. and Mary E. Schmuckal. It houses the NMC University Center, which offers more than 40 bachelors completion and advanced degree programs in partnership with eight Michigan universities. Also located at the University Center Campus is NMC Extended Educational Services, which provides community and continuing education offerings, administrative services, human resources and the business office. Attached to the Schmuckal Building is the Northwest Michigan Council of Governments Building (1995), which added a new second floor in 2000 for University Center classes.
1753 Birmley Road, between Garfield and Keystone roads, south of Traverse City
This facility is named after former science/math division director and instructor Joseph H. Rogers, who spearheaded construction. The structure contains a classroom area, dome, telescope and darkroom. It was constructed to house astronomy classes and provide an educational program for community groups. It opens regularly to the public for free public viewing.