Staff Policy D-505.02
Institutional Effectiveness Criterion: Operations
Dennos Museum Center Facility Use
Northwestern Michigan College’s property, buildings, parking lots and grounds are designed and reserved for supporting the purposes of the institution. Consistent with Board of Trustees policy, Northwestern Michigan College (NMC) also makes its physical facilities available to responsible groups and organizations on a rental basis, after meeting College needs.
- Scheduling Responsibility
All NMC property, buildings, parking lots and grounds belong to the College. All space usage, for any reason, must be scheduled through the Central Scheduling system to ensure equitable and appropriate application of the scheduling policy and procedures and to minimize conflicts in bookings.
- Scheduling Order
Reasonable efforts will be made to assure all programmatic needs are met. Events are scheduled on a first come first serve basis with priority as follows:
- Dennos Museum programming
- Recurring customers.
- NMC departmental programs.
All use of space has a cost. For current Dennos Museum Center rental rates, see fee schedules available from Dennos Museum. Fees are subject to change without notice.
- Facility Use Guidelines
- Scheduling, and Cancellation:
- All events held at DMC must be staffed by museum personnel.
- DMC reserves the right to charge a cancellation fee of 50% of the rental fee if event is cancelled by the renter less than 30 days prior to event.
- Cancellation Due to Emergency Conditions: Should performance spaces be damaged to the extent that it would interfere with the use of facilities by renter, or if a strike, public emergency, riot, or other unforeseen occurrence beyond the control of Dennos Museum Center prevents renter from using the facilities, either Dennos Museum Center or renter shall have the right to terminate the agreement and renter shall be liable only for the charges due at the time of termination. At termination, renter waives any claim against the Dennos Museum Center/Northwestern Michigan College for damages and/or compensation.
Emergencies: It is understood that final decisions causing cancellation or delay of an event, due to any emergency such as tornado warning, bomb threat, or other public emergency, is the decision of the management of Dennos Museum Center/Northwestern Michigan College and the Traverse City Police Department.
- Dennos Museum Center shall not be liable for failure to provide facilities or services under this Agreement in the event such failure is a result of Acts of God, inclement weather (refer to NMC Inclement Weather policy D506.03), riots, strikes, labor difficulties, epidemics, any act or order of any public authority, or any other cause, beyond Northwestern Michigan College’s control. In such an event, Dennos Museum Center/Northwestern Michigan College will not be required to provide special notification or provide or arrange for alternative facilities for use by Organization.
- DMC has limited parking and is subject to NMC and Traverse City rules and regulations governing parking on the NMC Campus. The Museum cannot guarantee immediate access parking to patrons of events at the Museum.
- DMC reserves the right to require the renting organization provide a Certificate of Liability.
- College facilities and grounds may not be used for overnight camping.
- College facilities may not be used by an individual, group or organization that advocates or subscribes to any theory or doctrine subversive to the Constitution or laws of the United States or the State of Michigan. This restriction does not prohibit the discussion of controversial subjects in a public forum.
- Inaccurate or untruthful statements made in applications, or violations of the College’s policies and procedures, including non-payment, may place the responsible persons or organizations on an ineligible list for future use of facilities.
- Responsibilities of the user:
- All users of College facilities are subject to the policies and procedures of the College. In addition, all federal, state, county, and local municipality laws and ordinances are applicable to the College and the user, including Fire Codes and room capacities.
- Works of art and other exhibition materials may not be moved or handled in any way without the consent of the Museum Director or Curator. The Museum reserves the right to restrict the activities of any function or set-ups related to the function which may in any way endanger the exhibitions within the building.
- Organizations using the Museum are responsible for any and all damage to the building or its contents (including works of art) due to such use other than reasonable wear and tear. All equipment/props brought in by the user must be removed within 24 hours of the event’s conclusion. The Museum assumes no liability for such equipment.
- All non-College groups who use College facilities must include a disclaimer statement in all promotional activity clearly stating that the event is “Sponsored by (renter’s organization name).” Dennos Museum Center reserves the right to review all promotional materials, temporary signage and decorations prior to publication, distributing or posting.
- All signage, decorations, poster and flyers must be removed from Museum and College properties at the close of the activity. Additional fees may be incurred is not removed.
- Smoking is prohibited in College buildings. For additional information see NMC Policy D-505.06
- Alcohol possession or use is prohibited on all College property except as authorized by NMC Policy D-505.08, Alcohol and Illicit Drugs. All arrangement for alcoholic beverages at Dennos Museum must be made with the Director of the Hagerty Center.
- Doors and hallways must not be blocked with chairs or other equipment. Fire doors must not be propped open at any time.
- The use of candles (except where expressly allowed), heating devices or flammable materials is prohibited in all College facilities unless approved by Central Scheduling.
- In the event Organization breaches any terms of this Agreement, Dennos Museum Center/Northwestern Michigan College may immediately terminate this Agreement and Organization’s right to use Northwestern Michigan College’s facilities without liability and penalty to Dennos Museum Center/Northwestern Michigan College.
- Scheduling, and Cancellation:
- NMC Co-sponsored Events
NMC does not co-sponsor religious events or single party/single view political events. NMC provides sponsorship opportunities for events in the following categories:
- NMC Co-Sponsorships:
- As a pursuit of professional interests, NMC departments, faculty, and staff may provide access to the Dennos Museum Center through co-sponsorship of select events.
- NMC co-sponsors must submit a written request to Dennos Museum Center with rational for co-sponsorship. Once co-sponsorship is approved, Dennos Museum will issue a contract for signature by party responsible for payment of fees. Co-sponsorship requires the integral participation of the NMC co-sponsor throughout the course of the event.
- Co-sponsorship rental fee is 50% of standard fee.
- NMC Co-Sponsorships:
When in the best interest of Northwestern Michigan College, the President or his/her designee may approve exceptions to procedures, fees, or requests for waivers, on a non-precedent-setting basis. The College reserves the right to cancel any event for circumstances beyond its control and/or reasonable cause, or deny and make additional restrictions when in the best interest of the College.
The Vice President of Finance and Administration, in conjunction with the appropriate faculty and staff, is responsible for the development and publication of any procedures or guidelines that may be necessary to administer this policy effectively.
If any provisions(s) of this policy or set of bylaws conflicts with laws applicable to Northwestern Michigan College, including the Community College Act of 1966, the Freedom of Information Act, or the Open Meetings Act, as each may be amended from time to time, such laws shall control and supersede such provisions(s).
Adopted September 18, 2009