Whether your interest lies in biology, nursing or a specialty area such as agricultural operations, biology majors at NMC can earn an Associate in Applied Science degree with the option of further learning in a specific area of study.
Consider what makes our Biology Program unique:
- NMC Biology Department faculty has a close working relationship with instructors in the NMC and University of Michigan Nursing Schools. They are continuously working to assure students completing introductory biology courses are well prepared to complete the ADN (Associate Degree in Nursing) and BSN (Bachelor of Science in Nursing).
- NMC and Michigan State University have developed an Applied Plant Science Program. This program prepares students in the areas of Agricultural Operations, Fruit and Vegetable Crop Management, Landscape Management and Viticulture.
- You can enroll as a biology major at NMC, earn an Associate in Science & Arts in two years and then transfer to Michigan Technological University with junior standing to complete a Bachelor of Science degree in biology in our 2+2 biology program. Most of our introductory classes (BIO 106-110) transfer as natural science courses. Our BIO 115-116 series transfers as first year biology to most four year schools. Our 200 level courses transfer as 200 to 300 level biology course.
The NMC Biology Department maintains a greenhouse on the southeast corner of the Health & Science Building.
Pre-med students eligible for MSU Early Assurance ‘pipeline’
Michigan State University, MSU College of Human Medicine and NMC have agreed to establish a cooperative program of premedical education by which NMC students who transfer as undergraduate premedical students to Michigan State University will have the opportunity to be granted an enhanced opportunity for admission to MSU College of Human Medicine.
What you'll find at NMC
- Transfer courses, two-year associate's degrees, four-year bachelor's degrees in maritime technology, and professional certificates
- Online learning options
- Access to other bachelor's degrees and advanced degrees through NMC's University Center »
- Small classes, personal attention
- Scholarship opportunities
- Reasonable tuition
- Excellent academic reputation
- Dedicated faculty & staff
- On-campus housing options