For custom driving directions to the Rogers Observatory from Google, enter your street address, city and state below. (The directions will appear in a new browser window.)
"It's a wonderful thing when the community comes out and uses the facility they helped to build."
NMC ASTRONOMY INSTRUCTOR
Students from the NMC Astronomy Club and the Grand Traverse Astronomical Society host public viewing nights at Rogers Observatory.
The admission fee is $2 per person, or $5 per family.
2014 public viewing schedule:
- Friday, January 3, 9–11 p.m. *
- Friday, February 7, 9–11 p.m. *
- Friday, March 7, 9–11 p.m. *
- Saturday, March 22, 9–11 p.m.
- Friday, April 4, 9–11 p.m. *
- Tuesday, April 15, 1:30 -7 a.m. (total lunar eclipse - only if clear)
- Saturday, April 26, 9–11 p.m. (Astronomy Day)
- Friday, May 3, 9–11 p.m. *
- Saturday, May 10, 9–11 p.m.
- Friday, June 6, 9–11 p.m. *
- Saturday, June 21, 9–11 p.m.
- Friday, July 11, 9–11 p.m. *
- Saturday, July 19, 9–11 p.m.
- Friday, August 1, 9–11 p.m. *
- Saturday, August 16, 9–11 p.m.
- Friday, September 5, 9–11 p.m. *
- Saturday, September 20, 9–11 p.m.
- Saturday, October 4, 9–11 p.m. *
- Wednesday, October 8, 4:30-8 a.m. (lunar eclipse - only if clear)
- Saturday, October 18, 9–11 p.m.
- Thursday, October 23, 5-7:45 p.m. (partial solar eclipse - only if clear)
- Friday, November 7, 9–11 p.m. *
- Saturday, November 15, 9–11 p.m.
- Friday, December 5, 9–11 p.m. *
* Open viewings are held after each Grand Traverse Astronomical Society (GTAS) meeting. The GTAS holds a meeting the first Friday of each month, beginning with a board session from 7–8 p.m. followed by a general meeting (usually including a presentation) from 8–9 p.m. The public is invited to attend.
The Rogers Observatory is several miles south of NMC's main campus, at 1753 Birmley Road. (O on the Campus Map)