Students from the NMC Astronomy Club and the Grand Traverse Astronomical Society (GTAS) host public viewing nights at Rogers Observatory.
The admission fee is $2 per person, or $5 per family.
2016 public viewing schedule:
- Friday, January 8, 9–11 p.m. *
- Note: This is the second Friday due to the holiday.
- Friday, February 5, 9–11 p.m. *
- Friday, March 4, 9–11 p.m. *
- Friday, April 1, 9–11 p.m. *
- Friday, May 6, 9–11 p.m. *
- Monday, May 9, 7 a.m.–3 p.m. – Transit of Mercury
- Note: This viewing will only be held if the skies are clear.
- Saturday, May 14, 9–11 p.m.
- Friday, June 3, 9–11 p.m. *
- Saturday, June 11, 9–11 p.m.
- Friday, July 1, 9–11 p.m. *
- Saturday, July 9, 9–11 p.m.
- Friday, August 5, 9–11 p.m.
- Saturday, August 27, 9–11 p.m.
- Friday, September 2, 9–11 p.m. *
- Saturday, September 10 , 9–11 p.m.
- Friday, October 7, 9–11 p.m. *
- Friday, November 4, 9–11 p.m. *
- Friday, December 2, 9–11 p.m. *
* Open viewings are held after each GTAS meeting. The GTAS typically holds a meeting the first Friday of each month, beginning with a board session from 7–8 p.m. followed by a general meeting (usually including a presentation) from 8–9 p.m. The public is invited to attend.
The Rogers Observatory is about five miles south of NMC's main campus, at 1753 Birmley Road.
For custom driving directions to the Rogers Observatory from Google, enter your street address, city and state below. (The directions will appear in a new browser window.)
"It's a wonderful thing when the community comes out and uses the facility they helped to build."
NMC ASTRONOMY INSTRUCTOR