“I would recommend NMC to other international students because the classes are small and the professors can get to know you on a personal level. They have a genuine concern for your success and are always willing to take the time to explain things and make sure that you have learned from their teachings.”
For New International Students (never attended high school in the U.S.)
- Completed International Student Application including supporting documents
- Official English proficiency test scores
- TOEFL: 61 IBT, 173 CBT, 500 PBT
- TOEIC: 500
- IELTS: 6.0 overall band score
- Other measures of English proficiency will be considered, please inquire
- Original and official high school transcripts translated to English
- Ability to finance educational expenses including tuition and fees, housing and meals, transportation and health insurance in the amount of no less than USD $19,345.00
- Interest in completing an associate degree or transfer degree in one of our more than 60 areas of academic study
- If you will be living with a host family locally, they will need to send a letter via post stating they agree to support you with housing, meals, and transportation for the duration of your stay at NMC. They must also submit a recent bank statement and/or pay stub proving financial means to support you.
For Students Currently Participating in U.S. High School Exchange
- Completed International Student Application
- Official high school transcripts from both your home country and U.S. high school
- Original and official bank statement showing sufficient funds for your educational expenses
- If you will be living with a host family locally, they will need to send a letter stating they agree to support you with housing, meals, and transportation for the duration of your stay at NMC. They must also submit a recent bank statement and/or pay stub proving financial means to support you.
- English-as-a-second-language (ESL) speakers must also take the ESL COMPASS placement test for mathematics and English composition at NMC.
*ESL COMPASS can be taken at several locations in Michigan and across the U.S. including at Northwestern Michigan College. Call NMC’s Student Success Center at (231) 995-2134 for more information.