For New International Students (never attended high school in the U.S.)
- Completed International Student Application including supporting documents
- Official English proficiency test scores
- TOEFL: 61 IBT, 173 CBT, 500 PBT
- TOEIC: 500
- IELTS: 6.0 overall band score
- Other measures of English proficiency will be considered, please inquire
- Original and official high school transcripts translated to English
- Ability to finance educational expenses including tuition and fees, housing and meals, transportation and health insurance in the amount of no less than USD $19,345.00
- Interest in completing an associate degree or transfer degree in one of our more than 60 areas of academic study
- If you will be living with a host family locally, they will need to send a letter via post stating they agree to support you with housing, meals, and transportation for the duration of your stay at NMC. They must also submit a recent bank statement and/or pay stub proving financial means to support you.
For Students Currently Participating in U.S. High School Exchange
- Completed International Student Application
- Official high school transcripts from both your home country and U.S. high school
- Original and official bank statement showing sufficient funds for your educational expenses
- If you will be living with a host family locally, they will need to send a letter stating they agree to support you with housing, meals, and transportation for the duration of your stay at NMC. They must also submit a recent bank statement and/or pay stub proving financial means to support you.
- English-as-a-second-language (ESL) speakers must also take the ESL COMPASS placement test for mathematics and English composition at NMC.
*ESL COMPASS can be taken at several locations in Michigan and across the U.S. including at Northwestern Michigan College. Call NMC’s Student Success Center at (231) 995-2134 for more information.
“I would recommend NMC to other international students because the classes are small and the professors can get to know you on a personal level. They have a genuine concern for your success and are always willing to take the time to explain things and make sure that you have learned from their teachings.”